28

You left Tommy's house feeling giddy, drunk on heavy kisses and laughing at nothing. He and his mother waved to you from the door as you headed down to the curb, where Alex was idling. You were too happy to even think about the fact that you wouldn't be able to see Tommy for a while after this - the ghost of his lips against yours was enough.

You waved back at him as you opened the passenger door, etching his flushed face and heady smile into your memory. You slid into the car and closed the door, Alex smiling at you.

She started to drive away from the house, waving at Tommy as she passed before she turned to you. "So?"

"So." You repeated. Where did you even begin to tell her what had happened? After he'd kissed you the first time, you'd just laid on his bed for hours. You'd meant to make a video for your YouTube channel, but your camera had remained untouched as you had just giggled and talked and kissed on Tommy's bed. 

You were still tingling with goosebumps from where he had draped an arm around you, and played with your hair, running his fingers through it. The touches had been nerve inducing at first, but as you relaxed more they had become reassuring, that this was actually happening, and that you weren't just dreaming this whole thing up.

"You're being quiet." Alex said, a touch of apprehension in her voice. "Did you wimp out of telling him? Or did you tell him, and he was weird about it? I swear to god, I'll-"

"No, um." You said. Just thinking about what had happened was making your face heat up. "I did work up the nerve to tell him."

"And?" Alex said. 

"He kissed me." You said.

Alex gasped, taking her eyes off the road to look at you excitedly. "He did?"

You nodded, biting your lip.

"Hell yeah baby!" Alex crowed, a wide grin overtaking her face. She pumped a fist in the air. "Let's go!"

You laughed at her antics, feeling the excitement well up in yourself again as well. You'd actually told him and he'd kissed you. It was like something out of one of those bad romance movies your mother liked to watch.  

Alex took the next turn off the road. You glanced at her quizzically.

"Detour." She said. "We're getting ice cream."

Alex supplied you both with chocolate swirl cones. As a victory treat, she said. You ate them back on the road, and Alex pestered you for all the details. You told her about Tommy's mum, and the dogs, and all the pictures of tiny Tommy in the stairwell. You told her about the stream, and then about laying on his bed, and the first time he'd kissed you. And the kisses that followed. 

Alex had sighed. "Teenage love." She'd mocked. 

You'd snorted at that. "You're only 22, not long ago you were our age."

The ride back home went quicker, maybe because you weren't waiting for it to end. You watched the sunset over the road in front of you, and the scenery whizz past the car. You were content though. You were sure you would see Tommy again soon, and you knew you would be dreaming of him tonight. 

Alex dropped you off outside your house. "Don't stay up too late texting your boy." She grinned. 

"He's not mine." You said. 

"Why not?" Alex asked. "I think it's pretty obvious he fancies you enough. You should ask him." 

"We just told each other how we feel today!" You said. "We don't have to go lightning speed."

Alex clicked her tongue, disappointed. "Kids these days and their niceties." She smiled. "I'm happy for you though. If you ever need a ride again, don't be afraid to ask. Tess said I could visit anytime, and now that we know Tommy's is on the way, it's no issue."

"Thanks Alex." You said, waving as she backed out of the driveway and drove off. You turned to look at the front door of your house. You felt almost like a different person. Leaving this morning... you'd had no idea what you were walking into. 

You opened the door and walked inside. A delicious smell was wafting out from the kitchen and you followed it, finding your mother standing in front of the stove, stirring a pot of pasta. 

"Hi popkin." She greeted. "How was your little meetup?"

"Good." You said. "Very productive." The understatement of the century. 

"That's good." Your mum said. "I'm making pasta with greenbeans and white beans."

"Smells great." You said truthfully. "Call me when it's ready?"

"Of course." Your mum said as you walked out of the kitchen, heading upstairs to your room. As soon as the door shut behind you, you collapsed on the bed, giggling like a little girl. You rolled around on the blankets, rumpling the covers until you finally flopped onto your back, breathless and giddy.

You'd kissed him.

You could feel your phone resting heavy in your pocket. You wanted to text him. To call him, and hear his voice again. But you had only just left his house, and you didn't want to ward him off by being clingy. 

But it seemed the universe was in your favor. Your phone buzzed and you pulled it out, seeing one new text from Tommy on the screen.

get home alright?

You opened your phone and typed back a response, not bothering to wait to seem cool.

yeah the drive was good

You paused for a second before adding another bit.

kinda wish i was still at yours though

You phone pinged not thirty seconds after the message went throught.

yeah me too :(

Your heart fluttered in your chest and you rolled on the bed again, clutching your phone to your chest. He was so genuine and nice and funny and just... perfect. And you liked him so much. And that he would send the little frowny face at the end... your heart was melting. 

You couldn't believe what luck you had that he would feel the same way about you.