Chapter 6

The following days Lorraine had been out of town, visiting her grandmother. So, Ed found himself, thinking about what happened on the Halloween day over and over again. She hadn't told him what happened to her inside that room and no matter how much he wanted to, he didn't ask.

However, something must have happened to Ruby too. She skipped school the following days and rumor was that she felt very sick. Adam and Ed talked about it and they assumed that things were a bit more complicated than others thought. But they needed Lorraine to help them too.

Anyway, the two decided to do something useful until she's coming back. One afternoon, they headed to Ruby's house together.

'What are you hoping we will find out?' asked Adam for the tenth time that day. 'Maybe she is just sick and the house was not really haunted.'

'Yeah, maybe. But we need to be sure of it. If you are skeptical then I am going to do this alone.'

Ed tried to keep a soft voice but it came out sharper than he wanted. He was tired of people not believing it, but he couldn't blame him either. His friend was too soft for the reality.

'You know I won't leave you alone, Ed. It just seems...unlikely.'

'It always seems unlikely,' he muttered to himself before he knocked at the door.

A short woman with barely a few wrinkles opened the door. Even if she showed a smile it didn't spread to her eyes too. Concern, however, sparked inside her grey eyes, identical to Ruby's.

'Hello, boys. What brings you here?'

'Well, we heard that Ruby doesn't feel well, so we thought we should check up on her,' said Adam, stepping closer to his friend.

'And we brought her homework for English,' added the other boy, rising a small pile of papers.

'Oh, that is very sweet of you. But she doesn't really want to meet anyone right now.'

'Mom? Who's at the door?' they heard the girl call.

Ed threw a short glare to his right, where his friend was standing. Something was suspicious.

'Alright then. Tell her we said hi.'

The woman closed the door in front of them before they could say anything else. They didn't even move for a few seconds, still processing about what had just happened.

'Well, that was strange,' observed Adam and Ed nodded.

The boy looked around himself while his friend was insisting that they should leave. Something was not right and he needed to know more about it.

'Come with me.'

'What are you doing? Ed!'

He glared at him to make him quiet and stopped under one of the windows that was a bit cracked open. Adam didn't really have what else to do and followed him , rolling his eyes and wondering what he got himself into.

'Maybe I wanted to talk to them,' Ruby's protest heard clearly when they stopped moving.

'Not when you are sick,' a male's voice joined the conversation, probably her father.

'I am not sick, dammit!'

'Language.'

'If you are not sick then prove it,' her father spoke with anger. 'You are pale and barely standing, plus you are burning. You don't even know what happened to you last night and how this happened!'

A short silence took over the house when the man probably pointed at something.

'I really don't.'

The last words came out with such a soft voice that they barely heard them.

'I don't know what is happening to me, okay?'

Ruby must have ran on the stairs because they heard loud steps close to the window and they decided that they should leave.

None of the two said anything for a few minutes as they simply walked. Until Adam broke the painful silence.

'What does it mean?'

Ed took a deep breath, trying to put his thoughts in order.

'I have no idea. It might be just her sickness even though it doesn't really sound like just a sickness.'

'Unless it's a really bad one.'

'Yeah, unless that.'

Damn, how he needed Lorraine to be there. She had been gone for barely four days but he missed her like it had been months. And she would have known what to do. Or at least they would have figured something out together.

'Do you think she might know?'

Adam knew who he was thinking about so he didn't even mention Lorraine's name.

'Maybe. Clearly she knows more than we do.'

'Then why didn't you ask her something?'

'Because if she didn't tell me about it, then maybe she doesn't feel comfortable to talk about it. Or who knows, maybe she doesn't even trust me enough!'

He shouted the last words, letting the thought that bugged him the past days come to the surface. That was the last thing he wanted to think but it was a possibility.

Adam watched him helpless. He never knew how to comfort someone and usually he would just make some bad jokes and assume it was helping. However, now he wouldn't even do that.

'Dammit man, you really care about her.'

Ed almost smiled at his friend's words. Adam was right, he had never felt like that for a girl.

'Yeah, I really do...'

~Yeeeey, new chapteeer! I hope you all like it and if you have any suggestions about the story or my writing please comment, it would mean a lot to me:)~