Chapter 10

'Are you telling me that my own daughter is possessed?' Ruby's father spirit the words with anger. 'Two teenagers are trying to convince me that my daughter is actually possessed by a demon.'
Lorraine didn't even flinch at him and Ed admired that. She kept her face and voice calm and he placed a hand on her back.
'Yes and that it might be very dangerous for all of you. You need to-'
'Do you even realise how pathetic that sounds, girl?'
At the last word, Lorraine strained a bit.
'Yes, I do. But tell me what else could be the reason of this behaviour?'
'Where could that demon even come from. Our house is clearly not haunted,' the father laughed sarcastically.
'But the Corvin house might. She and some other classmates walked inside of it even if it might literally fall apart over them,' Ed joined the conversation.
'And the demon specifically chose Ruby?'
At the sight of his ironic smile Ed wanted to yell at him and tell him how obvious it actually was. He had read enough book to know what was happening and how to deal with it. That man didn't read one.
'It depends on the objects they touched. Ruby has a curious mind we all know it.'
Lorraine saved the day by continuing and not letting Ed get violent.
'From what we know she could have touched anything.'
It was obvious that the man in front of them tried to remain as calm as possible.
'Sir, after what we've seen, it is dangerous. She is dangerous,' Ed pointed out.
'You know what? I don't want to hear this nonsense anymore! My daughter is sick.'
'Your daughter asked Lorraine to help her!'
'That's it.'
And just like that, he slammed the door in front of them. Ed's girlfriend jumped a bit in surprise then sighed.
'They won't understand,' she said with a low voice when they walked away from the house. 'And he doesn't even want to listen!'
Adam, who had waited for them on the main street and still heard the conversation, joined them quickly.
'What if she really is sick?' he asked. 'And not actually possessed.'
Ed and Lorraine glanced at each other and didn't say anything. That wasn't sickness, anyone could tell that.
'I'm just saying...'
'It would be good to be just a sickness,' Ed spoke. 'But we have no proof for it.'
'I know... I was just hoping.'
Lorraine placed a hand on her friend's shoulder.
'I understand.'
For a few moments they walked in silence. Until someone called out Adam's name and they all turned around.
Amber was rushing to them, her blonde curls jumping at each step and her skirt flying in the wind. Her green eyes were sparking of happiness.
At least she wasn't involved in that mess.
'Hi, guys!'
The girl hugged her friends and placed a soft kiss on Adam's cheek. That made the boy blush like crazy and smile.
'Why do you all seem so mad?'
The three looked at each other and none of them gave her the honest answer.
'Nothing,' Lorraine talked first with a forced smile. 'Let's go to school.'
Once again, after a few steps, they got interrupted. This time not Adam had been called. It was Lorraine.
'Miss Moran!'
One of her neighbours walked faster toward them. A nice woman, a bit older than her own mother. Her chocolate eyes showed concern and that look made the girl's heart skip a beat.
'I just talked to your mother,' the woman explained. 'She said she had called you a hundred times, but you had already left for school.'
'Is everything alright, misses Bright?'
'You need to go home and talk to her. It's extremely important.'
'I'll come with you,' Ed announced and didn't let the girl complain.
The bit of fear in her eyes told him that he had to be there for her.
'You're going to be late for school.'
'Small odds. The school is close and there's still plenty of time.'
Lorraine didn't complain. She told the other two to go to school and walked back home, after thanking her neighbour.

It felt like the longest call of her life. And she hated every single second out of it. The knot from her throat and the sobs she desperately kept at bay.
The only good part was that Ed was close to her. Even if he didn't know what was happening, his presence a few meters away still helped.
'Alright,' the girl said with a low voice. 'Yeah, I'll come in a few days.'
Her mother gave her a short list of what she needed to bring to her.
'Okay. I'm sorry, mom.'
She didn't hear the rest of her words until the call ended.
And the first tear streamed down on her cheek.
'Is everything alright?' Ed asked.
The words didn't come to her. Even if they did, the knot from her throat wouldn't let them out anyway.
And the boy didn't insist. He pulled her to his chest and let her cry for minutes.
'My grandma passed away,' she said when her voice was back.
'I'm so sorry, Lor...'
She let out another sob.
'It will be ok.'
'No...It won't.'
With a sudden anger she pushed him away.
'Ruby's parents don't even listen to us and that girl is hurting! Someone else might even get hurt. And now this and-'
Once again the tears she thought she had gotten rid of flowed on her face.
'And everything is falling apart,' she whispered.
It was the first time that Ed had seen her like that. Hopeless. Letting herself explode like that.
'Hey, hey, Lor...'
Ed kneeled in front of the place she crouched. As gentle as possible, he took her hands in his.
It wasn't like her. Something disturbed her so much if she had broken down like that.
'It's going to be fine! We'll fix this somehow, you'll see.'
'I'm so scared, Ed. Of what I fell and what I see... I'm scared.'
It was the first time she had admitted it. And it scared him so much.
He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her to his chest.
'Why didn't you tell me?'
'Because...I thought I could handle it.'
'Look. Look at me.'
Her crystal eyes, pooling with tears looked up at him. A whole ocean of confusion was trapped inside of them.
'You'll learn how to handle this gift, Lor. And I will be there for you every second of it. I promise. Cause I won't leave anywhere. Here I have all I need.'
Her sadness tamed a bit.
'You'll learn how to not be scared about it. Appreciate it. And with Ruby everything will be fine, we'll fix it together.'
She didn't cry or sob anymore. The last tears fell on her cheeks.
'Time fixes everything.'
Gently, Ed placed a soft kiss on her forehead and Lorraine buried her face inside his chest.
'Thank you,' she muttered.

~The first chapter since I came back! I hope you all like it and if yes, then please leave a vote and a comment. It means so so much to me, you have no idea💗~