Chapter 2: Tortuga

Tortuga

Tortuga is the forbidden land of prostitution, pirates, drunkards, and thieves. A bawdy town with taverns, grog shops and ribald houses that only Jack had explored out of the three of us. The first things I noticed were the rotting docks, and the weatherbeaten buildings. The smell alone spoke volumes about the poor sanitation. Guns were being fired, and people were getting thrown off of rooftops for cheap entertainment.

I treaded behind Will and Jack as Jack seemed right at home

I treaded behind Will and Jack as Jack seemed right at home. He staggered as if he were still on the ship. I looked around and swiftly stepped out of the way of the drunks and the fights, and had to duck when an object was thrown at my head. Even animals roamed free, and I heard someone shout that there was a man for sale... whatever that means. I had tucked my hair into my hat, and my hands rested in the pockets of my linen black coat as we strolled through the port.

Jack was talking to Will as I walked quietly behind them. I was very observant of my surroundings, gazing at the buildings and keeping an eye on the inhabitants. Every pirate I know has eyes in the back of their heads, because you never know when you need to run or defend yourself.

I heard Jack say, "I'll tell you, mate, if every town in the world were like this one, no man would ever feel unwanted."

We walked past a wooden building that seemed to be popular, as lots of men were walking in at a steady pace. I took a couple quick steps to get right behind Jack and I tapped his shoulder. He stopped walking and turned to me and followed my finger when I pointed to the building. I asked, "what's that?"

Jack inspected the exterior of the building for a moment before turning back to me with a sway. He seems to have his sea legs, but not his land legs. He can't stand still. "That, me dear, is a brothel. And we will not be going. No matter how much I may want to."

I was not interested in going into a brothel anyway, but I had to ask him, "why not?"

"The day shift at a brothel? You can't unsee that," was Jack's answer.

"Is it like a cabaret?"

Jack's eyebrows raised slightly and he nodded, "something like that."

I looked up at the sky and saw the starry night, but I decided not to dig any further on what he might consider to be day. He's a very odd man. His brain has been parboiled to some degree.

As we continued to walk, some drunkard tried to pass through our little trio and he nearly ran into me. I wasn't going to move out of my way for a man, and he was offended by that. He grunted, "move your arse, lassie."

I had to freeze to peer back at my butt and couldn't understand what he meant.

"What's happened?" Jack asked, stopping with me.

"How do I move my arse?" I asked sincerely. I tried to project how I was attempting to figure it out by jutting my butt back and forward just a bit, trying to see how that makes sense.