Chapter Thirty-Four: Cornered Rat [Part 2]

“Oh, who is this woman?” You assumed to be Hayato’s mother asked as Kira, or Kosaku led you through the front door. Hayato trailed in after you. You could see the jealousy in Hayato’s mother's face as she eyes you up and down from the dining room doorway. 

“A friend. She sliced her hand, and I offered to help her,” He replied calmly. Hayato looked at you nervously. 

“Oh my!” His mother exclaimed. “Hayato, show her to the bathroom so she can wash some of the blood away. I’ll get the first aid kit. I’m Shinobu by the way,” She introduced. 

“Oh, um, I’m Y/n,” You said, awkwardly taking her hand. 

“Hayato,” She said, looking at the boy. Hayato glanced at her before taking your wrist and leading you away from the room. He led you down a hall, then into a room before he shut the door. 

“What are you thinking?!” He whispered shouted. “He’s going to kill you! Just like he did that other woman, ”

“Calm down,” You replied lowly, turning the faucet on in the sink. “I’m not an idiot. I would not have ever agreed to come if I didn’t think I could get out of here alive, and I will, so please relax.”

Hayato whimpered quietly. “O-okay, ”

“And stop giving me those scared looks. I’m a stranger to you, remember? We just met on the street, and your father offered to clean my wound,” You glanced at him as you shut the water off. He nodded in understanding. 

“This way,” He said, opening the door. “My mother will bandage your hand.”
Shinobu heard the door open and motioned for you to sit down across from her. She gently took your hand and wiped the wound down with alcohol. 

“You have a very kind family,” You said. She smiled. 

“My husband is very much so,” She sighed dreamily. “Hayato on the other hand. He just ignores me most of the time. I’m sorry if he acts like a jerk to you,”

“Oh no,” You laughed, shaking your head. “He’s actually quite...helpful.”

“He may seem rude, but I know he’s kind. Even if it is buried under all that violence he gets from playing video games,” Shinobu scoffed, pulling the bandages tight. “There, that should do.”

“Thank you very much,” You said. “Here, let me help you clean all this up.”

“I appreciate it,” She smiled. 

As you moved around the dining room, taking things from the table to the trash can, you couldn’t help but notice the extra set of eyes on you. Kira was standing in the doorway, eyeing you as you helped Shinobu. 

She doesn’t matter to him, you thought, glancing at her. She’s only Kira’s cover until he gets completely blown off base. Once he gets found out, then he’s sure to kill her. And even know, his urge to kill has spiked, seeing as he just picked you off the street like a stray cat. He’s getting desperate, which means he may be getting sloppy with covering his tracks. He still didn’t know you past your name, which means he doesn’t recognize you from the attack he held on Jotaro and Koichi. You were surprised actually. How hadn’t he known you? You practically beat him into the concrete. The fear of him realizing who you were was settling in very quickly. The more he looked at you, the more he could probably piece the puzzle together. He wasn’t stupid, you knew that for a fact. But neither were you. 

“I’m really sorry, but I have to get going,” You said. “My boyfriend and I are supposed to meet up soon.”

“Oh, I was hoping you’d stay for dinner,” Shinobu said. “I don’t think my husband would mind.”

“I thank you for the offer, but I really do have to get going.” You said. “Thank you again for helping me. I’ll have to pay you back someday.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Shinobu said, waving a dismissing hand towards you. 

“I’ll be going now then,” You said, slipping your shoes on. 

“I’ll walk you. It’s getting late, and it’s dangerous to be on your own.” Kira said, making your entire body tense up. 

“I-I’ll be okay on my own. You don’t have to-”

“It’s no trouble at all. Really, it isn’t.” He said, grinning at you. Your hands shook as you looked at him. You nodded. 

He walked behind you, but he was close enough for you to feel his breath. You could see Rohan, leaning against the wall while mindlessly sketching in one of his books. You scoffed mentally. If only he knew the stress that you were under at this point. I mean, who wouldn’t! You had a serial killer who obliterated his victims, saved their hands, and switched lives following so close after you.

Fear swirled in your stomach, making you suddenly feel nauseous. You couldn’t shout, or wave your hands in the air to catch Rohan’s attention; you were too far away. You couldn’t break out in a sprint. Kira could easily grab the collar of your shirt and throw you against the wall. Normally, you’d just use Atlantis in a situation like this, but he still wouldn’t materialize. You were terrified. You felt like a cornered rat. You had nowhere to run. You were stuck. Dead end. You had to think of something. And you had to think fast. Rohan was getting closer. He still hadn’t looked up. Damn him. Why did he always have to be so self-absorbed!? Here you were in the most terrifying situation a female could imagine, and he’s over there sketching out a trash can.

“Careful, there’s a drop here,” Kira said, his voice so close to your ear it took every fiber of your body not to lean away from him. You stepped over the dip in the sidewalk. You felt sick.

“My boyfriend is right over there,” You said. “Thank you for walking me. I’ll be alright from here.”

“Hm, it’s a shame,” Kira said. Your legs stopped working as you froze in place, eyes blowing wide when you felt him grab the back of your neck. Looking at the shadow cast from the streetlamp shining down on you, you could see the outline of another body. 

His stand. 

He was going to kill you. 

You felt dizzy.

You couldn’t move. 

He trapped you. 

You were going to die!

“Y/n, is everything alright? Who is that behind you?”

You felt like your body had been doused in Holy Water, and Kira was the demon repelling itself off of you with how fast his hand was removed from your neck. Rohan walked towards you, his sketchbook tucked under his arm. Unbeknownst to you, he had heard your conversation, so he gave you a quick glance before wrapping his arm around your waist. Rohan pulled you close to him, frowning at the way your body trembled almost violently and the way your face was paling by the second. 

Kira was gone in the second. Rohan was about to let go of you, but when he felt you buckle, he dropped his bag and held you up with both arms. He said your name in surprise and worry. 

“Are you alright? What did that man do to you?” He asked, ready to summon Heaven’s Door. You shook your head, placing a hand on his shoulder, pushing him away from you. 

“I-I’ll explain in a minute. I-I need to get back,” You whispered. Rohan frowned. 

“Alright, then let’s get going.”