Chapter 3, A Talk

Start from the beginning

      Aaron doesn't say anything. Instead, he engrosses me into a hug. I don't hug back, and he squeezes me even tighter. I know he won't let go until I've hugged him back. I wrap my arms around his torso, and we stay there for a brief moment.

     "I am happy, but I'm not going to make you feel like a third wheel. That's the last thing I want to do. Cassie Mae, I want the truth. Why aren't you coming to dinner tomorrow?" He asks.

      I sigh, trying to come up with an excuse. Truth is, I don't have one good reason for not going. "Like I said, I have homework to catch up on, and I'm helping a classmate. I'm also hoping to squeeze in applying to the last few schools I want to apply to." I say, telling the white lie again.

     Aaron rolls his eyes. "Cassie, cut the bullshit. Tell me the truth." He says, getting upset. You can't, it will hurt him more.

     "I am telling the truth. Plus, I don't want to listen to our parents talk about your love life! They will switch the topic to mine, and I don't have an explanation for not dating someone. Okay? Can you just leave?!" I say out of pure frustration about him forcing me to tell him things.

     "So this all boils down to Haley doesn't it? What did I come over here to tell you! You're acting like a pathetic baby. Quit the whining and grow up, Cassidy." Aaron basically yells, just not loud enough for my parents to hear.

     As I stand in shock, tears flow down my face. "Get out." I whisper, looking down at the ground. I don't even want to look him in the eyes at this given moment.

     "What?" He asks, not hearing what I said.

     I take a second to gather my wits. I back away and say louder, "Get out. I'm done, leave. I'll walk to school tomorrow. Don't say another word and leave." I was angry, and Aaron could definitely tell.

     However, I could tell Aaron was hurt by my words too. We always rode to school together. I just didn't care. He doesn't get to come into my house and yell at me. "Fine Cassidy, be a bitch." He replies, and walks out of my room, angrily.

       I stood in shock, he's never called me a bitch out of spite like that. See, he doesn't even like you not like that. You made a good call. Next thing I realize, I slam my door shut, and fall against the door crying. Aaron really just called me a bitch.

   ...

Aaron's POV

         "Fine Cassidy, be a bitch." I said, and the moment I realized what I said. She doesn't understand where I'm coming from. We will try again tomorrow.

    I walk downstairs and see Mrs. Dylan in the living room. "Goodnight Mrs. Dylan. See you tomorrow at dinner." I say, peering into the living room.

    Mrs. Dylan gets off the couch and walks toward me saying, "Is everything alright Aaron? I heard you two bickering. I would hate for there to be tension." Fuck, I screwed up bad.

    I look down knowing you can never hide your feelings from Mrs. Dylan. She always knows. "The truth is no, everything's not fine. We both took turns lashing out at each other. We just need to calm down. I plan on talking to her tomorrow. I'm sorry." I say, with my head down.

    Mrs. Dylan grabs my chin, lifting it up with her fingers. "It's okay, Aaron. Best friends get into fights. Just know it's going to take some getting used to having to share you with someone, for Cassie. This is the first time you've ever really been serious about a relationship, and she's afraid she'll lose you." She replies, understandingly.

    Lose me? Never. She's stuck with me for life. "Lose me? She'll never lose me, and I came to tell her that. She's determined that Haley's going to change us." I say, as I try to understand where Cassie was coming from.

"Come with me outside, let's talk." Mrs. Dylan speaks, soundly. I nod my head, and follow her outside to the porch.

We sit down on the small bench swing they have outside their front door. "Aaron, I hate to tell you this but Cassie's right too. While you two won't lose each other, things will definitely be different." She starts, and I intently listen. One thing's for certain, always listen to Mrs. Dylan.

"How though? Haley understands her and I are just friends. I don't want to make her feel like a third wheel, how do I do that?" I ask, as I start getting frustrated having to juggle this.

Mrs. Dylan smiles and pats my knee. She says, "Listen, if Haley and Cassidy get along it's going to be a lot easier. They both know they aren't each other's competition. However, Cassidy wouldn't feel like such a third wheel if she hung out with the both of you, if they were friends. You can't keep them apart, you have to try and let them become friends. You also have to consider that, you're going to be taking time away from Cassidy to hang out with Haley. She's not going to be hurt about it, as long as you're open with her."

Wow, how is she so wise? I smile, a fake-ish smile, and say "That makes sense. I can see where Cassie is coming from. I feel awful." I say, as I put my head down so all I see are my shoes.

  "Why Honey? What really happened up there?" She asks, leaning back onto the bench.

I decided to cut straight to the point, no need for the sugar coding. "Well, I lashed out on her the most. I called her a pathetic baby, and for her to quit her whining and grow up. That's not even the worse part. She told me to leave, but I didn't hear her. When she looked up and told me to go again, I saw her heart break. Instead of trying to comfort her, I called her a bitch." I say, getting it all out first. I play with my hands, as I really hate the fact I called her a bitch.

Mrs. Dylan gives me an empathetic look, knowing I feel awful about it. "What did she say that second time?" She asks, wanting to know more.

I sighed hating this conversation and said, "She told me to get out. That the conversation's done, and that she'd walk to school tomorrow. Not to say another word, and leave. However, I did. That's when I called her a bitch and I even called her Cassidy. Mrs. Dylan I messed up, big time."

"You two had a moment, and that's okay. It's how you fix that moment that matters. Just give her time. Although, I think it's supposed to rain tomorrow. So, I don't think she'll be walking. Try and talk to her tomorrow morning before Haley gets here. You better get home, it's late." She says, getting up. I get up too, as I nod my head in agreeance to her.

"Thank you, Mrs. Dylan. Will you try to get her up a little earlier so I can make sure I have enough time to talk?" I ask, and she nods her head. "Thanks again for the talk, Bye Mrs. Dylan."

I heard a small "goodbye" from her, and I left to go home. Way to go hotshot, you better be writing a letter in case she doesn't want to talk.

Author's Note 

I hope everyone is enjoying my story! Don't be afraid to comment! I love reading the comments! I hope you are all having a great day/afternoon/night! Whenever you read this! Muah loves.