Chapter 21, Rest in Peace

October 20th, 2008

Cassidy's POV

    Today's the day we memorialize Haley. Aaron and Jack are still living with me, and I'm doing my best to take care of them. Jack and I have become pals, and he loves when I make his lunch. I normally make fun little shapes that make his lunch look cute. Jack loves it, but Aaron doesn't want him to become dependent on me. Which is understandable, as they will be on their own here next week.

    Aaron found an apartment, and they're set to move in. I'm happy that Aaron will have his own place, but sad. Jack is the sweetest kid, and Aaron works so much. I know Jessica, Haley's sister, will be helping Aaron when he's away at work. I'll be helping too, if I can. It's good that Jessica takes him though, so then he can see his cousins.

    I walk out into the kitchen, and make all of us a small breakfast before we get dressed. The whole team is going to be there, which I'm thankful for. That team of his is his family. My parents, his parents, and Haley's side of the family are also attending. We kept the service small, as he only wanted those that were close to them there. I started making ham and cheese scrambled eggs and some hash browns. It was Jack's favorite, so I made some for us all.

    "Cassie Mae, what are you doing?" I hear Aaron say, as I'm putting the cheese on the eggs to melt.

    "Making all of us breakfast before we get ready. You need to eat something small at least." I say, turning around to see Aaron. He was in a gray shirt, and a pair of black joggers.

    "Thank you." He says, and I nod. I was so engrossed in cooking, I didn't pay attention to my surroundings well.

    I feel a pair of hands wrap around my abdomen, and I turn around. "What? I'm tryna cook." I say, laughing. We've always been close, but this was the first time since Haley's death that I've really looked at him.

    His eyes showed nothing but pain, frustration, and sadness. My heart broke, seeing him in this state, which is why I also wanted Jack and Aaron with me in my apartment. People grieve in different ways, and I didn't know how Aaron was going to handle it other than shoving his emotions out the window. I didn't want that, he needed to be able to grieve and not feel like it has to be hidden.

    "Seriously Cass, thank you. Thank you for letting Jack and I stay with you, for helping out with Jack. Both Jessica and you, have really helped Jack with all of this." He says, and I smile.

    Why are we so close?

Oh shut it, I don't care. It feels good to be in his arms.

No, this isn't right. His wife died eight days ago.

I start to push Aaron away. He takes the hint, and lets go of me. "You don't need to thank me. I told you I'd be here for you, and I meant that. I won't lie, I'll be a little sad when you two leave."  i say, as I grab plates from the cupboard.