Chapter 22, Ready to Run

October 20th, 2008

Aaron's POV

The funeral service was great. I was happy that everyone was able to show up with such short notice. It was now time for the luncheon, and the overwhelming people wanting to know how I'm coping. I basically told everyone how I have the greatest friend in the world, and how Jack is oddly at peace with it.

I see Cassie, and it feels awful to smile but I do anyway. She looked breathtaking, as she sat there next to her parents in a little black dress that accentuated her curves. I decide to walk over to her and her parents, since I haven't gotten the chance to speak with them yet. I set my eyes on Jack, who was playing with Henry. At least he seems to be having fun.

I come from behind, covering Cassie's eyes. "Guess who." I say, and she grabs my wrists, pulling them down.

"Aaron. You're not slick you know." She laughs, and I laugh too. I turn towards her Mom who's smiling, and her Dad who doesn't really look interested.

"Hi Mr. and Mrs. Dylan. Thank you guys for coming." I say, and Cassie gets up. I look at her, like a 'where are you going?' kind of face.

"I'm just going to the bathroom. I'll be back in a few." She says, and I turn back to her parents.

"How have you been holding up?" Mrs. Dylan asks, and I smile. If it wasn't for your daughter I wouldn't know.

"I've been hanging in there. I couldn't be more thankful for Cassie. She's letting us stay with her until we move into the apartment I'm getting in a couple weeks. You raised one hell of a daughter." I say, thinking about everything she's done for Jack and I since that night.

"You love her still don't you?" She replies, and I smile. For most people, they think it's odd that she asked me that at my wife's funeral. For me, I didn't find it weird at all. She knew I loved her way back when we were eighteen, it's no different now.

"Yeah, yeah I do. I loved Haley with my whole heart, but my love for Cassie Mae has been no different over the years." I say truthfully. I really did learn to love Haley. When we had Jack, it was one of the best days of my life. I had my own family, nothing changes that.

Mrs. Dylan looks at me, resting her hand on my forearm and says, "Don't be afraid to tell her that, the day you're ready to move on. You grieve over Haley, find the path, and then go love again with your whole heart."

"I will. Where is she anyways? It doesn't take her this long in the bathroom." I say.

I look around and I can't find her. I spot my eyes on Jack, he's still playing. I get up, and walk outside. I search for her vehicle, and I notice the empty parking space. She left? She didn't even say goodbye. Wait, I live with her.