IX. All That Glitters

Start from the beginning

Edmund picked up his sword and slowly walked towards Caspian with a dark look in his eyes. "I'm not your subject."

"You've been waiting for this, haven't you? To challenge me. You doubt my leadership," Caspian challenged in a dangerously low tone.

"You doubt yourself," Edmund retorted.

"You are a child!" Caspian yelled, glaring down at the younger king.

"And you're a spineless sap!"

They glared at each other, breathing heavily as jealousy shone in both their expressions.

Lucy ran forward and grabbed her brother's arm. "Edmund!"

He pushed her off, still focused on Caspian. "I'm tired of playing second fiddle. First it was Peter, and now it's you! You know I'm braver than both of you." Caspian smirked. "I deserve a kingdom of my own. I deserve to rule!"

"If you think you're so brave, prove it," Caspian demanded, pushing Edmund back.

Edmund lifted his sword and it immediately clashed with Caspan's. Lucy and Mila rushed to step in between them, pushing them back.

"No! Stop it! Both of you!" Lucy cried. "Look at yourselves. Can't you see what's happening? This place has tempted you. It's bewitching you. This is exactly what Coriakin was talking about."

"Ed, have you forgotten about the White Witch? She tempted you with a kingdom of your own," Mila reminded the boy king. "Don't fall into that lie again."

Edmund looked down in shame at the golden shell still in his hand. He exchanged a look with Caspian before throwing the shell into the water.

As Lucy and Caspian walked off, he grabbed Mila's arm and said, "Thank you, Mila. I had forgotten."

Mila nodded and said, "You're welcome. Sometimes all we need is a little reminder. Come."

They followed after Lucy and Caspian.

---

Eustace trudged alone through the rocky hill, speaking to himself. "Oh, yes, follow the imaginary Blue Star to the island of Ramandoodoo. Lay the seven steak knives at the table of a talking lion." He kicked the stones on the ground. "Ninnies!"

Something glistening in the sunlight caught Eustace's attention and he walked closer. "What is that?" A rock gave way and he tumbled down a cliff. A small one, but still a cliff. After dusting himself off, he saw that he was surrounded by piles of treasure.

It took him a moment to compose himself. "I must be dead." He found a goblet and began piling treasure into it; as much as he could fit.

A shiny bracelet caught his eye. There was a reptile of sorts on it. Whether it be a dragon or a lizard, he wasn't sure. He placed down his goblet and walked towards to the bracelet.

The bracelet was on a skeleton. "Ah!"

Eustace composed himself. "You're definitely dead."

He slid the bracelet off the skeleton's arm and placed it on his own. "Won't be needing that then, will you?"

He began collecting more treasure. Since the goblet was full, he started placing items in his pockets. He paused, hearing whispers around him. No one was there, so he focused his attention back to the treasure.

A wide smile formed on his face. "Finally... a favourable turn of events."

---

Lucy and Mila were walking slightly ahead of the boys. When they reached the boats, Caspian asked, "What food did you find?"