III. Doubt, Fear, and Panic

As soon as Caspian, Edmund, Lucy and Mila had changed into royal attire, Caspian led them through the main double doors on the main deck, leading them through a second set of stained double doors. He smiled fondly, holding the doors open for Edmund, Lucy and Mila. The three stared at the magnificence of the room.

Glass cabinets were positioned next to the main doors. Caspian's bed was against the wall on the right-hand side, surrounded by paintings of Narnian trees.

Lucy and Mila looked to their left and saw a golden head of Aslan above the fireplace that was in between another set of glass cabinets.

"Aslan..." the girls said quietly as Lucy smiled at Caspian.

Lucy looked about the room.

Caspian leaned against a set of wooden cabinets and walked towards a picture of the five of kings and queens of old riding their horses.

He stepped back towards the cabinets and called, "Lucy. Mila."

The girls walked over to him and Lucy smiled widely. "My healing cordial and dagger! May I?"

Caspian nodded. "Of course. They're yours. Here, Mila."

He handed Mila her sword, dagger and token. Mila didn't necessarily feel she needed the token, but took it anyway. She strapped her dagger and sword to her belt while something caught Edmund's eye.

"Peter's sword," Edmund noted, staring at it longingly.

Caspian set the wooden boxes down and said, "Yes. I looked after it as promised. Here. Hold it if you wish."

Edmund continued staring at the sword longingly, a surge of momentary jealousy passing through. "No, it's yours. Peter gave it to you."

Caspian's eyes twinkled as he walked towards the cabinet. "I did save this for you, though." He tossed Edmund his torch and he caught it easily.

"Thanks," Edmund answered sadly.

The four made their way to the study and Caspian stood behind his desk and pointed at several maps of Narnia. "Since you left, the Giants of the North have surrendered unconditionally. Then we defeated the Calormen armies at the Great Desert. There is peace all across Narnia."

"Peace?" Edmund and Mila repeated as they studied the maps.

Caspian stood straighter. "In just three years."

Mila glanced up and smiled. "Narnia hasn't been peaceful in a long time. You are just the king my land deserves."

Lucy tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and asked, "And have you found yourself a queen in those three years?"

Mila glanced at Lucy curiously. Caspian answered her with a mix of sadness and amusement. "No. Not one compared to your sister."

Edmund frowned, wanting to change the subject. "Hang on, so if there are no wars to fight and no one is in trouble, then why are we here?"

Caspian frowned. "It's a good question. I've been asking myself the same thing."

Mila focused back on the maps and studied them before asking, "Where are we sailing to?"

"Before I took back the throne from my uncle, he tried to kill my father's closest friends and most loyal supporters," Caspian answered, looking at sketches of seven lords. "The seven lords of Telmar." Edmund and Mila stepped closer to look. "They fled to the Lone Islands. No one has heard from them since."

Edmund and Mila exchanged a look. "So you think something's happened to them?"

Caspian nodded. "Well, if it has, it's my duty to find out."