Chapter 29 - "Get in the car, Taylor."

Start from the beginning

"Are you there?"

"I tried to call but you didn't pick up, are you okay?"

"Taylor, you're starting to worry me. Please reply."

"You better not be dead on some street from saving someone or I'm never talking to you again."

"Taylor, just let me know you're okay!"

"I stopped by your house and your mother told me you were asleep. You better be okay or I'm never talking to you again."

Guilt twisted Taylor's stomach as she wrote back. At the same time, she noticed that someone had cleaned off the blood from her phone.

"I'm fine. Long story. I'll see you at school."

Sighing, she dropped the phone to her bed and pressed her hands into the mattress. The pain meds were kicking in and she felt the relief of being able to think without having to work for it. Slowly, she got ready, taking a skimpy shower so she didn't have to attempt reapplying the bandage to her arm. When she looked enough like a human being, she shoved the pill bottle into her backpack and headed into the kitchen.

She stopped dead in her tracks when she saw Weston leaning against the counter talking to their mom.

When he turned his gaze on her, her heart plummeted.

The hours apart had given him enough time to bury his worry and sympathy and to rekindle his anger.

Right then, Taylor didn't care what mess it would cause with her mother, she wanted to vanish. Weston stared at her, pinning her to the ground as if daring her to do it.

"Taylor, you're ready," her mother said. "Here, come eat something."

With Weston's eyes tracking her, Taylor slunk into the kitchen and accepted the plate of eggs and toast her mother held out to her.

"Wes dropped by and said he could take you to school," her mother said.

Taylor nearly choked on her eggs. She could think of a million things that would be more pleasant than enduring a car ride with her brother at that moment. One of them included death by firing squad. She met Weston's gaze and knew there was no way she could finish her breakfast without throwing it back up a second later.

"Let's go," she said, sliding the plate away from her.

"Honey, you barely ate," her mother said, eyeing the uneaten toast. "Finish it, it will help get you through the rest of the day."

After forcing the rest of her food down her throat without choking herself and listening to her mother and brother share small chit chat, Taylor shouldered her backpack.

"Now we can go."

Her mother planted a kiss on Taylor's forehead. "Have a good day."

She turned to Weston and he bent down to receive his share of affection as well as a parting farewell. The two siblings crossed the house and walked out the door in a silence that would have seemed comfortable if not for the way Taylor strangled her backpack strap and Weston never once glanced at his sister. Out of the house, Taylor paused.

"It's okay, I can get to school from here," she said.

Weston didn't look back as he continued down the front steps to the driveway.

"Get in the car, Taylor."

Taylor didn't move. She knew she could do it. Just disappear. He couldn't stop her. He wouldn't even know she was gone until he rounded to the driver's side. He would only see an empty porch. But what she would have to face later would be worse than what she was about to face now.