Chapter 27 - "Freeze!"

Start from the beginning

Taylor nodded though it was a blatant lie. There wasn't a chance in hell that she would leave without him, it would be sentencing him to death.

"Okay," he said.

She rested her hand on his shoulder and dropped them into the room. It reeked of cigarette smoke and whiskey. Neither Weston or her moved, waiting for any sound that would tip them off that they weren't alone.

But the room was silent.

By the time they were certain they were alone, their eyes had adjusted to the darkness. What Taylor first noticed when she surveyed the space was the fact that the crates - filled with guns and stacked in the far end - were gone. Her stomach knotted at the unknown of what those guns would be used for.

Weston edged forward, placing each foot with care. He moved to the table without a sound. Taylor trailed behind him, keeping her promise to stick close. Like the absence of the crates, the table no longer held the chaos of papers. It was bare.

Disappointment weighed down Taylor's shoulders. It would have been too easy to have been given free rein to examine the papers closely and decipher what information they were missing. Weston didn't look all that surprised and he turned away from the table to scan the rest of the room. Across the way was a single filing cabinet. He zeroed in on it. It was locked when he tested the handle.

"I might be able to teleport the drawer onto the table," Taylor said.

Weston stared at her. "Really?"

"Yeah, it's something I've been working on."

Still stunned, Weston stepped aside. Taylor put her hand on the metal drawer, heart pounding. Moving a person seemed easier at that moment, a person wasn't connected to a bigger metal object that could make a lot of noise if it was disturbed the wrong way. She closed her eyes, concentrating on only the file drawer, picturing its outline and how it could detach itself from the rest of the cabinet.

Right as Taylor was about to sending her ability into the drawer, footsteps thumped on the stairs outside the room.

Weston grabbed Taylor. "Get us out of here."

Ripped from her intense focus, Taylor froze, disoriented. The footsteps neared as a gruff voice cut through the air.

"Nothing goes wrong next week, you hear me. Every member completes his task or they're cut."

The door knob turned, Taylor sucked in a breath, locked her hands on Weston yanking them away.

Back in Weston's office, Taylor stumbled back, shaken by the close call.

"I'm sorry," she whispered.

Letting out a breath, Weston sank into his chair, head in hands.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have put us in that position. That was too close."

Silence invaded the office as they both tried to rein in their emotions. Taylor crossed her arms, trying to stop her trembling, seeing too clearly how a second or two later could have meant either of them being shot. The thoughts of what could have been hung between them, keeping them locked in place.

The crackle of the radio on Weston's desk shattered the stillness and cut through the million parallel paths they might have taken. As a voice pieced the air, Taylor felt a sharp jerk in her stomach that nearly buckled her knees. Gritting her teeth, she gripped a filing cabinet beside her, trying to stay upright.

"Detective!" the voice was tight with fear, "We need you down here in processing. Men have-"

The voice broke off suddenly and the pain in Taylor's stomach intensified. Weston jumped to his feet, hand out to Taylor as if to help or stop her. Ignoring it, she let The Pull whisk her away.