Chapter 26 - "Can I talk to you?"

Start from the beginning

"That's cool," he said.

"Right! I don't know how I'll use it in general but it's awesome!"

"And you did this with Clint? A full human? You teleported him across the room?" Taylor nodded. "That was probably the most insane thing he's ever experienced. Makes sense why he kissed you."

The bubble of Taylor's excitement burst and she slumped back onto her backpack. Dominic winced. "Sorry."

Taylor said nothing returned to the burden of her predicament. What to do next.

A beat of silence passed between them as Dominic ran his hand through his hair.

"Did you...like the kiss?"

Taylor regarded him with suspicion. "Are you asking because you want to know if I like him or to see if you were better in comparison?"

He shrugged. "It could be for both."

Shaking her head, Taylor punched his arm.

"Okay, you don't have to admit that I'm the better kisser, but did you still like it?"

Taylor wrapped her arms about herself, staring down the long lane of the library.

"I don't know, he didn't really give me time to react."

"What do you mean?"

"He stopped kissing me almost as quickly as he started."

Dominic frowned. "Why?"

"Cause he's super conscious about crossing boundaries with girls and we're not dating."

"Oh." He paused. "Do you want to be dating him?"

Taylor turned her head, hiding her face from the world. "I want life to stop getting more complicated."  Though her voice was muffled by her backpack, Dominic heard her.

"I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you can teleport and are friends with someone who can stop time, I'm not sure simplicity is in the cards for you."

"Shut up," Taylor moaned.

Dominic wasn't inclined to listen since he kept talking. "Tay, I don't think this has to be complicated. You don't have to date him, but what if you asked him to the Winter Formal?"

"Ms. Bennet, I said I would think about that, that doesn't mean I'm going."

Smiling, Dominic poked her arm. "I took that as you would eventually change your mind, Mr. Darcy."

Letting out a breath, Taylor twisted on the floor until she lay face up, one leg still draped over Dominic's. The angle was awkward and uncomfortable but she didn't care to move again. The ceiling above her was a patchwork of off-white ceiling tiles that looked like hundreds of pencils had been thrown into them making tiny holes.

"Besides," Dominic said. "You have to go, I got you this."

She looked at him as he rifled through his wallet and took out a silvery blue ticket. When he handed it to her, Taylor hesitated before accepting. On the ticket, in swirly letters was written Winter Formal, A Dreamland. Taylor thought the tagline was stupid as well as the fact that the ticket was so fancy, it wasn't a night at the Opera after all. But still, she felt the edge of her mouth curl.

"You bought this for me?" she asked.

"Yeah."

"Why?"

"I was buying mine and I figured this way you would have to go. Because even if you didn't want to you would be racked with guilt knowing that I had spent money on the ticket for you and then you would have to go."