Chapter forty-three (Sebastian)

Breakfast had gone by pretty quickly all things considered, and mostly because I got to spend the time searching with Jacob.

Don't get me wrong, what had happened was terrible. But being able to spend time with my boyfriend sent me into blissful ease, especially since overnight, the final piece in my transformation had taken place.

Not the whole you need to accept the dying thing, it was the physical last change.

I only wanted one wing on my head, even if it was odd missing the other, but it was easier than having two hit people in the face and would eliminate difficulties sleeping.

It was two halos around my neck, misted and resembling barbed wire, circling like a science magnet experiment. Jacob didn't seem to care if he had noticed; only showering me with compliments. I could tell it was his first time, same with me; however, I was scared he was trying a little too hard in places.

After spending the morning searching the Aviary and Conservatory, we moved into the library to find Mr Greymeddow. He had been said to have gone to collect some final resources on something big, something that could expose Cullen further and maybe reveal details on Iaciel and his EDEN group which had somehow been getting messages to him.

There was a problem when we got there, it was closed.

"Do you think he needed some peace?" Jacob supposed.

I shook my head. "Not likely, he blasted that record player with or without students studying, let's take a look."

The lights were all off, so natural light peered selectively in places. The door may have been closed too, but with the slightest touch, the thing swung forward with ease.

We both gave each other glances, taking each other's hand and stepping up into the tiled hall.

Inside, the record player did indeed play, but everything was off.

The song on the track was broken, repeatedly playing the same few seconds over and over again.

Not too far from there, a whole shelf in the middle section had been toppled over, books spewing across the floor from each end of the room. It was a mess.

Stepping closer it was clear that our worst fears had come true, as not soon after we closed in a pair of legs were frozen stiffly under the pile.

It looked like he had been crushed by the shelving, but it was clear from the scorch marks around his clothes that he had been stabbed with a singular weapon usually associated with EDEN.

This was one of the first times I had seen it in practice and it made me tremble.

I could just see his cold pained face from the angle he was stabbed in the back, while the books lay on parts of him, one hand clutched a book as if he had been putting things away at the time of death. Mr Greymeddow was a statue, empty coal eyes and all.

As I picked up his straw boater hat, Jacob let out a scream, calling for help in an upsetting panic. We held each other close waiting for someone to come and hear the commotion.