Feminism

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is a woman well known for her feminist essays and books. One of them being Dear Ijeawele, or A Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions. In other words, she wrote about how to raise your child as a feminist. I read this book a while back, and I loved it. One thing I want to clear up before speaking about feminism is that the word 'feminist' seems to raise eyebrows. A feminist is not a crazy woman who hates men. A feminist is a woman who wants equality for both men and women. I'm a feminist. Of course, the early feminists were extremists, but only because femininity was a tool used by men to make women seem weak. Today, the modern feminist is a woman who wants equality, and feminists can take place in any form. You can be extremely feminine and a feminist, or maybe you're not that feminine, but it's alright.
I won't give an analysis of the entire book, because I'd much prefer you to read the book yourself, but basically, it explains how we should be raising young women. You need to teach girls to not depend on men.

Teach them independence and fending for themselves. Educate them and teach them to read. Teach them to question things and be curious. Teach them that they can do anything, and they shouldn't be discouraged when someone says 'you can't do that because you are a girl'. Marriage is not an achievement. It's okay to be different. Teach them about inequality. Give them a sense of identity. Allow young girls to dream and do whatever they want. Teach young girls to be themselves, not what other people think they should be.