Chapter 2

“Because love will make you happy and love will keep you warm

And love will build a cushion to keep you safe from harm.

But hate will drive you onwards, hate will drive you upwards

‘Till you can get back all the bastards

Who ever tried, oh how they tried to put you down.”

— Ambition, New Model Army

Harry’s POV

 “Miss me?” I asked, then flashed my famous cheeky smile- which I knew she loved, or at least she used to. I saw the corners of her mouth start to lift up, but then he took a deep breath and her face fell.

 “No.” She said coldly as she pushed passed me and headed for the door.

  She walked past the table with the boys and gave them all a disgusted look, “Looking good” Zayn whistled.

  She gave him the same death glare she gave me, “Oh, why don’t you just go fuck yourself.” She spat and walked out of the café without so much of a look back towards me. She walked with confidence as her hips swayed back and forth. Defeated, I went to sit back with the boys.

  “Someone’s a little grumpy today huh?” Zayn teased, and I smacked him upside the head.

  “And someone’s an asshole today!” I look accusingly at Zayn, and he put up his arms in defeat.

 Niall looked over at me, his eyes filled with sympathy,

“So she didn’t want to talk?”

 I shook my head slowly, trying to hold back tears, “No. Can we just head home?”

  “Sure, do you lads want to come back to mine and Harry’s flat?” Louis answered and looked at the rest.

  They all shrugged, “Got nothing better to do I suppose!”

  Liam answered, and threw his arm around my neck, “She’ll come around, don’t worry mate,” he whispered to me as we left.

 Ella’s POV

 I used my confident walk as I was walking out of Starbucks, to make them think that what just happened did not have any effect on me, which in reality… it did.

 I heard his voice and immediately knew it was him, I wanted to completely lash out and yell at him for being the shittest ‘best friend forever’ because he kind of ignored the ‘forever’ part… but then he smiled. His classic Harry Styles cheeky grin, I nearly grinned too.

 But I couldn’t. If I smiled it would mean that everything was okay when it was not. So, I took a deep breath and managed to find enough voice to give him a simple ‘no.’ And get out of there while I still could.

  I finally got back to my flat and immediately broke down into tears. Reliving every memory I had with him both good and bad.

 “Go ask him!” Harry urged.

I rolled my eyes, “No! I can’t just ask him, are you crazy?!”

“Why not?” he laughed, “Take a risk, we’re only in the 8th grade!”

“I guess you’re right, I won’t remember this on my wedding day”

“Unless you marry him!” he poked

I whacked him, “Harry! That’s so far away, I don’t even want to think about it.”

“Fine” he gave me a push, “Now go ask him!”

 I started walking towards Joey, the boy I had a crush on at the time and turned back to see Harry giving me two thumbs up. I took in a deep breath and walked over to Joey.

 “Hey Joey.”

“Oh hey Ella, sup?”

“Oh..uhmm… I was wondering….”

“Yes?”

“If you wanted to go to the dance with me?” I blurted out, immediately covering my mouth.

He laughed, “Of course, I wanted to ask you… but I figured you’d be going with Harry.”

“Harry and I are just friends,” he nodded, “See you Friday then?”

“Friday” he smiled.

And that’s how Harry Styles got me my first date…

 I snapped out of my thoughts to the sound of my stomach gurgling. “Whoah, calm down tiger.” I said to my stomach.

  I went to the kitchen, only to realize that I hadn’t bought any groceries, and it was dark out so walking to the store wasn’t an option and I didn’t know any pizza places around that delivered. I decided it was about time to get to know my neighbours across the hall, and ask them if they could spare a few slices of bread and some peanut butter.

  I opened my door, and walked across the hall, knocking on my new neighbours’ room. They opened the door, and standing infront of me was the same boy I had run into at Starbucks. His brown curls hanging perfectly around his face, and his sea green eyes wide in shock.

  “Ella?” he asked in confusion.

  I searched for my words and finally managaed to sputter out, “What the fuck are you doing here?”

  He still looked confused, “In my apartement….?”

  “No.” I breathed

  “Ella?”

  “No. Harry No!”

  “Ella what the hell is going on?” he grabbed onto my shoulders, forcing me to look into his eyes.

  I took a deep breath, “You’re my new neighbour…”

  “That’s fantastic!” he said and squeezed me tight. It took everything in me- emotionally and strength wise- to push him off me.

  “Yeah, it’s really not.” 

He smiled wide, “So what do you need then?”

 “Well… I kind of forgot to go grocery shopping and I’m starving. So I was going to ask if you had any bread I could use to make like a sandwich or something?” I felt embarrassed.

  He pulled me inside his flat, closing the door behind him.

  “Hazzaaaaaaaa” I heard a voice- Louis I think- coming from the other room. I felt a little annoyed that he was using my nickname for Harry, “Who’s at the door?”

  “It’s Ella!” Harry yelled back, pulling me towards that room. I came to a stop when I saw all four of them sitting on the couches with confused looks on their faces. “She’s our new neighbour across the hall!”

  “You know I think I’m just going to grab what I need and go,” I said, turning to walk to the door.

 Harry’s hand caught my arm and stopped me, “Why don’t you hang out with us tonight? We ordered pizza?” His offer sounded so tempting, but I couldn’t I had to resist getting caught into the life of Harry Styles.

  “I would, but no.” I said and walked to the kitchen and found the bread and peanut butter. I quickly made myself a sandwhich and headed towards the door.

  “Please stay?” Harry pleaded, “We have some stuff to talk about, and we both know it.”

  I shook off the desire to stay, “I have nothing to say to you, Harry Styles.” I said coldly, and walked out.