Chapter 8- Meeting The Parents [E]

Start from the beginning

Patrick greeted her kindly, a little surprised with her enthusiasm. She looked to the side tilting her body enable to get a good look at Annie standing slightly behind her father.

She scooted forward to greet Kate.

Kate smiled warmly at her and was taking an eye full of the vision in front of her. What a beauty, Kate thought. The tall young lady was quite the vision. Beautiful was too little a word. She noticed how her son hovered close to her and smiled inwardly.

"Hello there, I'm Kate." holding out her hand. Annie moved forward and shook the lady's hand.

"My name is Annie, It's a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. St. James." Annie replied. "Welcome to the neighborhood."

"Thank you my darling, it's nice to have finally settled in, and please call me Kate." Kate couldn't help but keep starring at the young beauty's eyes.

Annie stared back confidently.

Kate shook her head trying to break the hypnotic trance she was under. "I'm sorry! How rude of me, I was starring, I couldn't help myself, you are the most beautiful human being I have ever seen. It's like I was under your spell!" Kate joked while laughing and covered her mouth in embarrassment.

Patrick and Julien laughed along with her.

Annie forced herself to smile, she hated when people brought up her beauty, feeling extremely uncomfortable, but didn't show it. She felt a hand at the base of her back and looked to the side, it was Julien.

He nodded at her as if understanding her discomfort.

"Please come this way to the living Room..." A maid was passing the foyer, "Oh, Sarah, please let Mr. St. James know we are in the living room when he comes down and that we have guests." Kate ordered, Sarah nodded as Kate started turning to walk away once again.

Julien led her all the while his hand on her lower back, holding her close to his side. It sent warm tingles running up and down her back. His hold was intimate and reassuring at the same time.  All Annie wanted to do was lean back in his warm embrace and pretend they were alone.  Deep down in her gut, she felt rather than knew his actions were genuine and true. 

Kate and Patrick were in front of them, they didn't witness the contact between the two. Annie allowed him to touch her, keeping her hands clasped in front of her. It's like she's known him for a long time. She felt safe and comfortable with him even though she shouldn't allow such intimacy, they barley knew one another.

Although no one saw how close they were to each other, if they were witnessed, gossip and rumors would spread, ruining her reputation. A girl had nothing but her pride and virtue in their world–the world of the elite. Coming from a Italian-Lebanese family, ethics and traditions were important.

Julien released her when they entered the room. Patrick and Annie sat on a large elegant sofa. The room wasn't large, but intimate and cozy with a fireplace and a large bay window. Julien and Kate sat on the opposite side, a coffee table between them.

Julien leaned back against the cushions making himself comfortable while staring ahead of him and smiling at Annie.

"My husband will be down shortly, he just received an important phone call just before you entered."

"That's quite all right. We aren't staying long, I just wanted to relay our invitation to dinner at our home tomorrow, as I've told Julien, it's to welcome you to the neighborhood and It'll allow our families to get to know each other." Patrick stated looking down at his watch as he concluded. "We didn't plan to come in unexpectantely but we ran into Julien outside. My wife and daughters have already met him and what's the other fellows name.....?"