Chapter 10- Feels So Right [E]

He sensed her before he saw her as the hairs on his neck stood on end scanning the large study in search of his duchess.

Annie was standing silently watching them enter, a file folder in her hands. When Julien spotted her across the way, desire instantly flared inside of him at the sight of her.

She looked surprised. Watching him like a hawk.

He was pleased she was attracted to him.  Julien sensed the emotionless, cold, distant front she used to hide how she felt countless times. It was easy for him to see right through her—her eyes betrayed the emotions she dared not reveal.

The chemistry between them was there from the start, and it couldn't be hidden nor denied. Julien promised for every obstacle, for every wall she set in place, for every door she closed, he'd always be there to break them down.   No matter how hard she tried to push him back. 

Sending her a wink, he smirked to himself. He seated himself in one of the arm chairs in front of the fireplace, with a sizable view of her mouthwatering form. 

He never took his eyes off of her.

Annie sucked in her breath. She needed to act responsibly in front of these people she barely knew. Tucking the file away in one of the drawers, Annie adjusted her posture and slowly approached the small group.

The current company was oblivious of her presence except Julien. He watched every move she made. 

She cleared her throat. "Hello...Good evening," Annie started.

Everyone turned and spotted her.  Kate stood first and kissed her once on each cheek and gave her an affectionate hug.  Victor smiled and shook her hand formally. Phaedra squealed in happiness, engulfing her  in a warm embrace. Duncan stood to his full height and took her hand in his, bringing it up to his lips, kissing the back like a gentleman.

"It's a pleasure to see you again lass, you're more stunning than the last time I saw you, if you don't mind me saying,". Complimenting her kindly.

It was nice and unusual to hear someone ask for permission for the compliment.  The man had manners.

Annie smiled in response. "It's all right, thank you, you're very sweet."

Releasing her hand, Annie fisted her palms to her sides and silent,y ground her teeth.  With no choice, she directed her attention to last, but not least, Julien.

He was already standing awaiting his turn to be greeted.

His gray eyes captured her deep blue ones. Reaching for her hand, he unfurled her fingers discreetly as he brought it up to his lips and leaving a lingering kiss. Julien's eyes smiled as he took in her stiff stance.

Tingles ran from her fingertips up her arm.His hand was warm and his grip was strong, holding on a little longer than customary. Annie attempted to pull her hand from his grasp but Julien held on firmly.

Her parent's decided to make their grand entrance right then. She tugged harder before anyone noticed the close proximity. 

One second she was practically wrenching her hand, in the next he suddenly released her. She blushed slightly and turned away not before sending him a glare.

He was too bold, too obvious and it put her on edge.

Charlotte and Patrick started greeting their guests one by one as she and the whole room, once sizzling with electricity and static burst into chatter. Annie sat in the furthest seat across from Julien and ignored him focusing on the conversation her parents and the St. James' we're having.