"That would suggest the killer either lives or works in the area," Spencer muses, glancing at Y/n.

"He's going to such extremes to try and hide the murders," Morgan continues. "Maybe he has a connection to the victims."

"What does the press know?" Y/n asks, her right hand scratching subtly at the skin at the top of her left hand under the table.

"All media outlets are reporting an accident," JJ says.

Spencer slowly puts his hand on top of Y/n's, halting her scratching. She glances at him, removing her right hand, letting his hand linger on top of her left.

"One thing going for us: the killer has no idea we know." Prentiss raises her brows.

"That helps us," Hotch agrees. "JJ, when we land, would you explain to Sheriff Bruner and his deputies how important it is to keep this quiet?"

"Got it." JJ nods.

"If the unsub finds out we're here, all bets are off." Hotch shakes his head. "He could change his M.O. or just pick up and find his victims somewhere else."

The team nods, settling into the jet for the long ride to Nevada.

•••

"From this point on, the company line is simple. The FBI's here to investigate a missing persons."

"You may be thinking, if the public knew the truth, they might be able to help us. But we can't risk this getting out because this killer needs to believe he's getting away with murder." JJ looks at the deputies in front of her.

"Any future calls related to this investigation can be directed toward me or Agent Jareau," Sheriff Bruner says.

Spencer listens to the conversation as he pins up the pictures onto the corkboard next to the geographical map. Y/n stands next to him, marking the map with small stars where all of the accidents occurred.

"First victims, Fritz and Johanna Dietrich, were found ten days ago visiting from Germany," Hotch says. Spencer turns around, watching Y/n find the location on the map, placing a small pin in the star she'd made.

"Their accident was on highway fifty, just south of Tahoe," Spencer states.

"Second couple, Melissa and Tom Taylor, were from Oregon. They were found on the two-sixty-seven, northeast of Tahoe, not far from the interstate." Y/n pushes a pin in the map. "And the latest victims, Johnathan and Rebecca Gallen, were from Arizona. Their accident occurred between Reno and Carson City on highway three-ninety-five."

"Right here," Y/n mutters, sticking the pin in.

"All three couples were staying in the area without reservations," JJ says.

"And the only transactions on their credit cards were from gas stations hundreds of miles away," Hotch explains.

"The common theme here is no paper trail," Spencer says, scrunching his brows together. "If no one can contact them or trace them, they become perfect victims."

"Rebecca Gallen's father is going to be here soon," JJ says, glancing down at her watch.

"I'll talk to him," Hotch says, nodding. "Maybe he can help us fill in some of the blanks."

•••

"We have a witness who can put the Gallen's at a diner in Sherwood."

Spencer turns his head as he watches Hotch push a pin into the location on the map. He and Y/n had spent a few hours trying to narrow down the geographical location, and Spencer physically hurt watching Y/n try to act normal. Spencer can tell she's still struggling—she's sweating slightly, occasionally scratching at her covered forearms. She's a little shaky, and Spencer can tell she's getting frustrated.