Chapter 31: The Bonds Of 1-A

Start from the beginning

All Might turned his attention to Izumina. "Young Yūsha, can you continue with the next group?"

Izumina wanted to visit Izuku in the nurse's office but knew she'd committed to training with the rest of her classmates. "Yes. I just need a minute to recuperate."

All Might nodded in understanding before leading the students back to the monitor room to join the rest of their class. As they went, Izumina tried talking to Bakugou.

"Katsuki... Are you okay?"

Bakugou refused to meet Izumina's eyes as he barked his response. "Fucking fantastic, freckles."

"Kacchan..." Hesitantly, Izumina tried to place a hand on Bakugou's shoulder. Without another word, Bakugou shrugged her off and quickened his pace to avoid walking next to her. 'Great,' Izumina thought. 'I guess we're back to nicknames and not talking to each other.' Izumina sighed, rubbing the fading cut on her cheek, that had reappeared for the first time since she'd received it at the entrance exam. 'And just when I'd thought there was hope...'

...

Back in the monitor room, All Might addressed the class as Izumina, Bakugou, Uraraka, and Iida stood facing the others. "Well, even if I said that, the MVP for this battle was Young Iida!"

Iida flinched next to Izumina upon hearing his name, turning towards All Might confoundedly.

"It's not any of the winners, Ochako, Midoriya, or Izumi?" Izumina recognized Tsuyu's voice from amongst the group.

"Hmm, well... Why is that? Does anyone know?"

"Yes, Mr. All Might," Momo spoke up, raising a hand. "That is because Iida adapted the most to the context of the training. From watching the match, it appears Bakugou acted on his own because of an obviously personal grudge. And as Mr. All Might said earlier, it is foolish to launch a large-scale attack indoors."

Izumina turned her head to the side to face Bakugou. The boy's expression was unreadable as his bangs covered his eyes.

"In the same way, taking into consideration the damage he received, Midoriya's plan was also rash," Momo continued. "As for Uraraka... She and Izumi let their guards down mid-battle, and her final attack was too reckless. If she treated the paper-mache as a real weapon, she would not have been able to do something so dangerous. Iida had prepared for his opponent's arrival and assumed it would be a fight over the weapon, which made him late in responding to the final attack. The hero team only won because they took advantage of the fact that this was training. They were practically breaking the rules."

Iida smiled proudly, placing a hand over his heart as he took in Momo's words.

"Other than Iida, Izumi was the only one to get into her role as a hostage. She escaped as soon as she could and relayed the information she knew to the other heroes. What made her reckless, though, was her clearly personal relationship with Bakugou and Midoriya. She was too invested in their fight and, if not for Bakugou, would've injured herself more trying to help Midoriya with a quirk clearly not meant for healing."

Izumina slouched dejectedly, internally scolding herself for crying on camera in front of her classmates on the first real day of school.

The class, as well as All Might, stared in shock at Momo. Surprised at how much more she'd had to say than expected. "W-well," All Might stuttered, "Young Iida also has parts of him that could be more relaxed, but well, that was correct!"

"Which reminds me..." Momo spoke. "Will Izumi be able to continue with the remainder of the battles? It would be wise to give her a break before continuing."