one

maisie cheerfully padded through the airport, gray eyes scanning for a certain brunette man who she was dying to hug once again. her sister, however, was slouched and scowling as she followed the younger girl, an aura of gray and black following her like a dreary rain cloud. bella never had been a very joyful girl.

with an excited squeal, maisie took off, almost tackling her dad in a tight hug. she felt his chest vibrating with laughter as he returned her embrace just as tightly.

"hey, mai," he whispered, and the girl in his arms decided to ignore how choked up his voice sounded and the way he rubbed his eyes on her shoulder before releasing her.

"i missed you dad," she called out, bouncing on the balls of her feet, messenger bag slapping against her thigh with the movement. she loved her mom dearly, but they had nothing on the bond she had with her dad.

he chuckled at her excitement. his little girl had never lost the glint of childish fascination in her eye, just as he had always hoped. "i missed you too, honey. now, where's your sister?"

"here," a deeper, much more annoyed voice muttered from behind the ecstatic pair. the girls' mom liked to say that her daughters looked just alike, but no one else really agreed. bella was all pale skin, dark eyes, and stringy brown hair. maisie had gotten her mom's dark auburn hair and bright, vibrant gray eyes that had been recessive in the family for a while. they had similar heart shaped faces, but bella's was sunken and hollow while maisie had round cheeks and a cute little chin. maisie liked to think it was because bella cared about more things outside of her appearance to really care that much, but the amount of time she spent in the bathroom each morning said otherwise.

maisie loved bella more than anything. she was her twin sister! they did everything together when they were little, it was some of her best memories. they went to ballet together and maisie helped bella when she fell, they made mud pies with jacob and maisie tackled him when he put one down bella's shirt. she didn't know what happened. as they got older, bella got more and more distant. she hid in her room all day and threw things at her sister when she came in. anytime maisie so much as spoke bella would sneer at her like she was a stranger who stepped on the back of her shoe. she did her best, she brought her food when she refused to come down stairs, she bandaged her up when she fell, but bella always just screamed that she didn't need help from an 'attention seeking bitch' like her. maisie didn't know what she did wrong.

"hey, isabella," her dad tried, giving the girl an awkward hug that she didn't even try to return.

"it's bella," she replied sullenly, dragging her dull suitcase with her as she passed by her family to the police cruiser outside.

maisie looked on with sad eyes. charlie had obviously missed them so much, calling as often as he could and never missing a holiday or birthday even when he was working for hours on end, and bella couldn't even spare him a glance?

maisie did her best to diffuse the tension, like always. "come on, dad! i wanna see if my room still looks the same! i can't believe it's been so long since we last visited, i missed you and everyone so much! how's cora down at the diner doing? ya know, i..."

the auburn haired girl continued to ramble on, doing her best to remove the sadness in her father's dark brown eyes. they looked so much like her sister's.

_-_

bella glared at the back of her sister's head. could she shut up for one second? she didn't even want to be in this hell hole, the least she could do was cut out her incessant chattering. charlie, daft as he was, couldn't even tell his first born was annoyed! what kind of father can't see that his daughter is getting angry?

shoving her earbuds into her ears, bella glared out the window of the ugly police cruiser maisie had forced her in. god, this was all her fault. bella had been perfectly fine traveling around with her mom and phil, but no, maisie had to suggest living with charlie. no matter how much bella had begged and pleaded, her mom made her go on the basis of 'you don't want your sister to be lonely, do you?'

at this point, who cares if she's lonely? bella was leaving behind all of her friends in phoenix. maisie had tried to convince renee that she was fine, that bella could go with her and nothing would go wrong, but she wouldn't hear it. why couldn't they have just stopped at one child?

it was always maisie this, maisie that. who cares about maisie! bella was born first, bella was prettier, bella wasn't an annoying attention seeker who used her boobs to get everything she wanted. no matter how many times she tried to tell her family and friends that maisie was evil, they wouldn't listen. she wasn't just jealous, they didn't see her for what she was! a little bitch with no care for anyone's feelings! she was determined to get evidence while here in forks so that she wouldn't have to deal with her 'sister' ever again. she always got the boys, the pretty clothes, the nice friends, the good grades, everything. and now that she got the parent that loved her more, bella was gonna take it all away.

because who cared about maisie?