Chapter Forty One

Ben didn't know what he had expected when he opened up his wardrobe to get ready for class the day after his date with Mal but it certainly hadn't been this. Instead of his usual array of suits, there were numerous shirts and jeans that Ben knew were not his.

He had never owned anything with a reindeer on it for instance.

"Note to self, get different friends," Ben sighed as he grabbed a short sleeved brown shirt with a reindeer on it and a pair of jeans. While his friends had left him with a suit blazer, it was the green and gold plaid one that even Chip had banned him from wearing claiming it was an eyesore.

I honestly thought Audrey had thrown this out, he thought when he found it in the back of his wardrobe but then shook his head. He wouldn't subject anyone to that. Not today at least.

But if Emir or Akiho didn't give him back his clothes, Ben might not have the choice. Family Day was that weekend after all, and he couldn't be the only one not wearing their formal attire. Not when there was a likelihood he'd be meeting Mal's mom officially for the first time.

"Hey Ben," Emir smirked as he walked up to Ben as the brunette stopped by his locker. "Nice shirt. It looks familiar."

"Considering we've seen Akiho wear it how many times?" Ben asked, rolling his eyes a little. "Why did you guys steal my suits?"

"Because that's all you wear," Emir said with a shrug. "Jay and Carlos helped. It was a nice Tourney bonding experience."

Ben shook his head. "Why am I not surprised?"

"Because you know us too well?"

"Sure, let's go with that," Ben chuckled as he grabbed his books from his locker. "You couldn't have at least left me one suit?"

"We did!"

"The eyesore doesn't count," Ben told him as the two of them made their way to chemistry. Throughout the day, Ben had to fight the urge to roll his eyes as he felt the eyes of all his classmates on him. He didn't wear suits all the time!

...did he?

Sadly though, he was brought out of his thoughts by the sound of a very familiar nickname.

"Bennyboo, can we talk?" Audrey asked. "Also...what in the world are you wearing?"

Ben closed his locker and turned to face his ex-girlfriend. "Audrey, this is the fourth time you've wanted to talk since I removed my consent for our betrothal contract. What more is there left to say?"

"Bennyboo, did you really think this through before pulling out of the contract? You know there's not anyone else who can bring what I would to the marriage."

"While it is true you would bring a reasonable dowry, there's no point to it if we have no relationship," Ben told her. "Besides, I have a girlfriend Audrey."

"You honestly think Mal is a better match for you than me? Ben our families wouldn't have set up the contract if they didn't think we'd be a good match! Besides, a dowry isn't the only thing I could bring. My family is an amazing political alliance and you know it!"

Ben shook his head. "Audrey, can you even hear yourself? You're talking about us like we're prized horses being matched for breeding. Political influence and dowries aren't everything! What about the fact that we barely talked to each other? Or the fact that you haven't let me even hug you without you clinging to my arm since we were twelve? We barely know anything about each other Audrey! There is no emotional connection between us!"

Audrey rolled her eyes. "Oh you want to talk about us not talking? You hide in your office any chance you get! I had to twist your arm just to get a date out of you. You rescheduled on me twice the week of the Imperial Academy game!"