Chapter 22

I dropped my bag and ran down the stairs of the house. I sprinted as fast as my legs would carry me.

I was preparing to have to search for Kai for a while but as soon as I reached the bottom of the stairs and was about to leave through the front door I heard a voice from behind me.

"Maddie?"

I spun around and saw Kai standing at the far end of the hall, his face pale and shocked.

The only emotion I felt was overwhelming joy. I wasn't worried about going home or what my friends would think of me.

I ran to Kai and instantly threw myself into him. I wrapped my arms tightly around his torso. He took a moment to react, almost as if he was shocked that I would hug him. Like he wasn't used to the sensation. Then he finally embraced me cradling his head into my shoulder.

After a long hug I finally pulled back and began to notice what a mess Kai was in. He was clutching wounds on his legs which were bleeding profusely and he was grinding his teeth in agony.

"Oh god Kai, here."

I bit my wrist and held it to his mouth. He began sucking on my wrist, drawing my blood. I watched as his wounds healed and he began to look healthier.

Did Bonnie do this to him? The Bonnie I knew was powerful and strong, but gentle. She never would have harmed someone like this and then left them alone to die.

Maybe she's changed too.

Kai finally done with my blood let go of my wrist and began breathing normally again.

"Maddie what the hell are you doing here? You know we can't get out without Bonnie right?" Kai scolded me.

"I don't care Kai. I wasn't leaving you here alone." I snapped.

I could see emotion sweep over Kai's face. His eyes began to well with tears. I knew no one had ever cared for him before, he probably never thought he'd have someone who would risk everything for him.

I honestly hadn't even had much time to process what I had done myself, but I knew I needed to be here for Kai. I don't think he could have done those alone again. Not without breaking.

Kai finally broke his silence.

"Thank you." He barely whispered.

~~~

Kai and I had spent the next hour or so looking through the house. The living room was littered with pictures of the Salvatore family. There was pictures of Damon and Stefan as children, the woman I now knew to be Lily and who I assumed was Damon and Stefan's father.

We found the pantry was stocked full of plenty food to keep us going, Lily was obviously well prepared and had gathered lots of supplies to save her trekking into town everyday for food.

We then went up stairs to the bedrooms. My room seemed to have been a guest room in 1903 as it was fairly empty of personal effects. Stefan and Damon's rooms were full of their own things from their childhood and the master bedroom had what must have been their fathers stuff and a small collection of Lily's items she must have had with her when she was dumped in here.

We settled in my room and I began to go through my bag.

"I couldn't bring any of your stuff I'm sorry." I explained to Kai.

"It's okay Mads, I know."

"I brought these sweats I stole though, so you have something else to wear and I'm sure there's some of the boys stuff in the house you could wear." I explained handing him the sweats.

He looked at them and smiled before laying them on the bed next to him.

"Look what I did bring though."

I pulled my collection of Harry Potter books from my bag and held them up for Kai to see. His face lit up with excitement as he grabbed the books from my hand and begun inspecting them.

"You're the best Maddie you know that." Kai smiled at me.

"Don't get too soppy on me now Parker." I teased.

Kai rolled his eyes at me through a small chuckle.

"Any preference on which room you want?" I asked.

"I thought I'd just take my room so you can have any of the others." I added.

"I'll go with Damon's." Kai answered.

Damon's room was next to mine. I was secretly hoping Kai would choose that one, I liked the idea of him being close by.

There was one thing which had slightly worried me since we got here. Although the pantry was stocked full of food, that wasn't the only thing I needed to sustain me. I was a vampire and as such I needed blood. I had no idea where I'd get that from. I usually drunk from blood bags at home but there wasn't a fridge full of them here.

"Kai?" I stuttered nervously.

"What's wrong?" He replied, his tone full of concern.

"There's no blood here. You know, for me to drink." I added awkwardly.

I hadn't really thought of it before I had left. I was sort of in a hurry.

"Well you can drink from me. Don't worry." Kai reassured me.

"Kai, I -"

I didn't want to hurt him. I mean my control was pretty good and I was practically 100% sure I could handle it, but I didn't want him to feel he needed to.

"Shhh, no arguments, you'll drink a little from me everyday and we'll both be fine. I trust you" He interrupted.

I smiled. I was so grateful.

"Thank you." I whispered.

Kai nodded in reassurance and then seemed to go off into thought. A moment later he broke his silence.

"Can I ask you a question Mads?" Kai asked shyly.

"Go for it."

"Why did you come here?" He asked.

"I mean you've given up everything to be here with me. Why?"

He was right in a way. I had given up everything. He was also completely wrong in a way. If I hadn't come here I'd have been giving up him.

"Honestly?" I asked.

Kai nodded eagerly.

"Because the moment I saw you hadn't came back with them my world fell apart. I didn't even have to think about what to do I just did it."

"And I don't know how we got to where we are Kai, but for some reason, I need you."