* Chapter Nine *

I open our office door, where three cubicles are situated. Rahama's was beside mine. And mine is in the middle.

I don't like the girl next to mine and not only because she's very close to Ramla but she's stuck up.

"What?!" Rahama asks when I tell her about my out burst with Ramla. "Why?"

"I don't know what came over me".
"You're going to let your jealousy make both you and your husband lose your jobs".

"I know" I huff.

"Heyyo!" she says coming in and going inside Laila's cubicle.

"Now she's here to mock me" I say.
"Don't flatter yourself, you and I both know she's always here during her break" Rahama says and walks out.

I think I'm starting to irritate her.

.

I walk out of my cubicle,. I was so sleepy, I couldn't sleep last night.

"Take these" Laila says handing me some files "Ramla said you should work on it".

They were a months work, I'd take months sorting them out but it's not my job. This was usually given to level 8 and below to sort out.

"I'm not doing it".
She smirks "She said it's your penalty for yesterday. What happened yesterday?"

"Just tell her I'm not doing it" I walk out.

After my break I go back to our floor. Everyone was gathered talking about God knows what.

I grab Rahama from the crowd "What is going on?"

"Ghaffar is in your cubicle waiting for you"
"Really? So that's why people gathered? They are gossips" I smile, they must be couple crushing on us.

"It's about-1" I cut her off.
"—I'm coming".

I walk past the crowd and enter.
He has a strict look on his face, like he did when we first met.

"Close the door behind you".
"Okay" I close it.

"This place is filled with gossips" he hisses.
"Are you here to pay me a visit?"

He laughs hysterically, like I just said the Funniest thing he has ever heard.
"No. I'm here to let you go".

"What?"
"They asked me to fire you, personally".

I freeze "What?"
"You didn't want to accept your penalty and sent Laila back with it, instead she met the Director in Ramla's office so he found out you wouldn't do it because you're above it" he huffs "Even I do it sometimes so what makes you special?"

"Is there another reason you're angry?"
"Of course. You got fired Aleema, you let yourself get fired because of petty jealousy". He says worriedly angry, if that's a thing.

"I'm sorry".
"You know what I'd appreciate?" he asks.

"What?"
"Go home, eat, rest and then ask Ikram to take you to your mother's house. It's Thursday so you can come back on Sunday evening. I think you need some time off because I think I do too" he Admits.

"But--"
"Just do it. I'm already facing enough backlash here because of your outburst".

"Okay, alright" I sit. It feels like things are just crashing down.

He walks over and holds my hand "You're stressed and I might be too but maybe we just need to calm down".

I nod.
He hugs me "Don't think too much about it" he pulls back, gives me a peck and walks out.

Most of the crowd dispersed. Rahama was outside staring at me. She didn't seem heartbroken or sad, instead she looked relived and excited.

I smile, widely.
I don't want to give anyone the satisfaction of seeing me in pain.

.

I stare at my suitcase. Its better this way. He'll rest and I'll rest too.

He walks in and stops when he sees me.
"What's wrong?"

I smile "I thought its better I wait. If you don't take me there yourself I know Mami will suspect something is going on".

"You're right, let me keep these and wash up really quick".

He comes inside the living room "Ready?"
"Sure" I nod "Ikram! Let's go" I call her.

She joins us pulling her suitcase. "I'm going to Halima's house instead. It's closer to the office I'm temporarily working at".

"Okay. Let's go, I'll drop you off too".
She nods and follows behind.

.

I walk in with Ghaffar trailing behind me pulling my suitcase.

Mami was with her Dan auta Jamal beside her watching.
"Hello Hello! I've arrived" I say walking in.

Mami turns and looks at us a bit surprised "Is that how you make your presence known? Are you not a Muslim?"

I pout.
"Ina Wuni Mami (Good evening) " Ghaffar greets her. He and I sit on a couch.

"What a surprise" she exclaims excitedly.
"I wanted to come spend a few days with my momma, I missed you".

She glares at me. "Ghaffar how is work and your parents?"
"They're okay, they send their regards".

I look at him, his mother and sister will never ever send their regards, ever.

"I should get going, they told me they'll be closing the road by 6pm".

"Oh right, drive safely" she says.
"Inshallah" he looks at me "Have fun, we'll talk later" he walks out.

I flop on the couch.
"Kai!" I call Jamal "Get me my food".

"What's with the tone? Did you two fight?" he asks before he walks out mumbling.

"What about Abba? Where is he?"
"He travelled to Katsina for his friend's daughter's wedding"

"You didn't go with him?" I ask.
"Nope, your sister did. She's friends with the bride anyway".

"I'm so hungry". I groan.

.
.
.