Chapter 36

Hushed voices nearby roused him gradually. When he recognized Hermione's voice, Draco wanted to leap out of his chair, but her clipped tone gave him pause. He deduced feigning sleep would be the best course for now.

"...supposed to mean?"

"No disrespect meant to you Miss Granger, not at all," whispered a frantic female voice. "It's just that he's a... he's a... well, you know, a... umm..."

"If you'd like to finish that sentence in this century?" Hermione interjected disdainfully, and Draco wondered if he'd had more influence on her than she'd care to admit.

When silence reigned, Hermione struck again. "If the end of your sentence isn't going to be 'wonderfully supportive boyfriend' or 'awfully brave man for saving your life' then I think you best not say anything at all," she said coldly and it took all of Draco's muscle control not to smirk.

"I meant no offense, Miss Granger, I'm sorry. I was only surprised to see him here with you."

"I assume they give you healers training in handling shocking situations? In how to react to the unexpected?"

She was so imperious in her iciness even Narcissa would have inclined her head in respect.

"I'm so sorry, I—"

"What's your name?"

"Trainee Healer Kane."

"And where were you during the Battle of Hogwarts?"

Oh dear, Draco thought wryly. This poor little lamb was heading straight for lecture-town to be verbally slaughtered by Granger.

"I was only 10 then. I was home."

"And the rest of the war? Home as well?"

Draco could picture the arching of Hermione's eyebrow.

"Yes Miss, my parents were half-bloods so we were left alone."

"How fortunate for you, Trainee Healer Kane" came the chilly reply. "While you and your parents were reaping the benefits of your blood status, I, along with the man asleep in that chair, were suffering in ways you cannot even possibly imagine. You have no right to cast judgment on those whom you know nothing about so as someone who does have first-hand knowledge of my partner's war time conduct, I'll thank you to keep your baseless opinions to yourself. And if the rest of our conversations during my stay are about anything other than my immediate health, I will report you to the head healer for a gross lack of professionalism."

Draco bit the inside of his cheek. I love you.

"I... I... of course. I'll let Healer Simpson know you're ready for the discharge paperwork..." The poor girl sounded close to tears. Draco heard hurried footsteps leaving the ward and the firm snap of the door closing behind her.

"You're a rubbish fake sleeper, you know."

Draco cracked an eye open and was greeted with the beautiful sight of her teasing smile.

"And you're something to behold when you get all puffed up and prissy on my behalf."

Her grin drooped and she wrung her hands in her lap. "I know you can fight your own battles, but she was—"

"Defend me any time you like, Granger, it was quite the turn on."

They smiled at one another, and Draco's eyes roved over her features, hungrily taking in the sight of her face, alive and happy.

"Hello."

"Hello."

They stared at one another a beat longer before Draco clambered into the bed and crushed her to him. He pressed his cheek to her hair and inhaled her comforting scent.