51. Pushing me away

After Thanksgiving and going through many experimental treatments from Owens, Jamie was finally permitted to leave the house and return to school for the remainder of the semester.

Hopper was nearing his last weeks of paternity leave, but for some reason when he wasn't preoccupied with the twins, Jamie and El found him more distant than usual.

Late on a school night, Jamie sat on the couch with Sammy watching tv while everyone else slept. She still fell into the routine of waiting for her father to arrive, even though it was well past midnight. She finally dozed off after fighting sleep for half an hour but was immediately awakened by the sound of the door unlocking.

Hopper huffed, rolled his eyes, and immediately let go of his key once the locks turned on their own and gently pushed the door open. Jamie flew off of the couch to greet her father who walked in and barely spoke.

"Dad!"

"Hello?", he replied curiously while simultaneously petting Sammy on his head.

"How was your day? What's this?", she asked as she touched the pink wristband on his wrist while he continued to walk to the kitchen.

Hopper showed no interest in her question as he opened the fridge and searched for a can of beer.

"Why are you up this late on a school night?"

"Oh, um.. Well I was waiting for you. Like I always do?"

"Yeah, well how many times did I tell you not to wait for me?", he responded on his way to the bedroom.

"Well how else am I going to talk to you when you're never here unless I wait-"

"How many times?"

Jamie stood there and huffed. Once she saw he was still expecting an answer, she rolled her eyes.

"Three", she whispered.

"Exactly."

Hopper chugged the can of beer before entering the room as Jamie continued on.

"Even if I don't wait for you, you never even answer the ph-", Jamie started complaining until Hopper shut the bedroom door in her face leaving her standing there.

She stood at the door for a few seconds in complete shock. She rolled her eyes as she fought back tears then turned huffed before storming off to her room.

The next morning, Jamie and Will hitched a ride to school with Steve as Hopper already left for the day. Throughout the morning, Steve noticed that something was off and decided to slip a note into her locker during passing period.

When Jamie opened her locker, the note fell between her feet.

"Meet me at our spot during 4th period", she read to herself.

She turned her head and looked down hall towards her 4th period class and then back to her locker. Shoving her books into the locker, she quickly closed the door and spun the combination before ducking out of the side door heading towards the back stairwell.

A few minutes after the bell rang, Steve finally made his way over and they sat there in silence. They mostly watched other kids walk by as Steve shared his lunch with her.

"What's wrong? You seem down lately?", he finally asked before setting his tray on top of the trash can.

Jamie shrugged and pulled her hair behind her ear.