27. Internal affairs

Joyce woke up with a raging headache to the sound of a steadily beeping heart monitor. Her eyes fluttered open as she found herself laying on her back and staring at the ceiling. She attempted to sit up and nearly whimpered as she felt a sharp pain in her lower abdomen.

"Jim?", she called out in the empty hospital room.

Hopper emerged through the doorway a few seconds later with bloodshot eyes and a wet face. He swallowed spit as he walked over to Joyce, sat down in the chair besides her bed, and held her hand.

"What happened? Why am I here?", she asked with a raspy voice as she coughed to clear her throat.

Hopper buried his face into his hands as he shook his head and burst into tears. A tear fell from Joyce's eye as she was caught off guard. She didn't know what was going on, but she could definitely tell something was wrong. She decided to look down at her stomach to identify the source of her pain, and noticed a few patches of blood on her hospital gown and a thick wetness underneath her bottom.

She pulled the sheets back to find herself laying in a small pool of blood. Her breathing became shakier as only one thought came to mind. She took a deep breath while slowly running her hands over her belly to flatten her gown. All of her breath left her body as her heart sank to the pit of her stomach when she noticed a major decrease in the size of her baby bump.

"Where's my baby?", she asked with watery eyes as she looked at Hopper who was still sobbing uncontrollably.

Hopper buried his head deep inbetween both his elbows and let his head slam into his knees.

"JIM! WHERE'S OUR BABY?!", she screamed.

Hopper rubbed snot on the back of his hand and then wiped his hand on his pants. He looked over at a blurry Joyce and wiped his eyes with his palm.

"Gone", he sniffled.

—————

Joyce exhaled sharply as she opened her eyes to Hopper who sighed in relief once she woke up.

"Jim?!", she whispered as she hugged him tightly and cried into the pit of his arm once she realized she was safe in her own bed.

"It's okay", he whispered as he rubbed her back. "It was just a dream."

Joyce pushed back and felt her stomach. She took a deep breath and wiped her eyes as she smiled once she felt her bump. Hopper watched in confusion and realized that she must've had a dream in which something happened to the baby.

"Everything okay?", he asked with a worried look.

Joyce ignored his question and looked at the time. She started to panic as she struggled to kick the sheets off of her to go check on the girls.

"Woah woah woah", Hopper said as he assisted her and pulled the sheets off of her legs.

"Where's Jamie?!", she panicked. "She called me!Where were you?!", she continued as she flailed her arms towards him.

Hopper wrapped his arms around Joyce causing them to press into his chest. He held her tightly and started to rock her.

"I'm sorry I wasn't here. She set me up."

"What?", Joyce sniffed as she looked up at him.

"Diane came to the station and she was wearing a wire."

"A wire?! For what? What hap-"

"I think she's trying to blackmail me. I do-"

"Blackmail?! Why would she need to bla-"