2. just like me

The walk back to the inn was quiet

The walk back to the inn was quiet. Erza and Lucy quickly slipped into a recap of the day's events, but Natsu was edgy and distracted, still trying his hardest to figure out what had felt wrong about the two boys.

"You're gonna hurt yourself if you think too hard." Gray appeared beside Natsu and bumped his shoulder, knocking him out of step.

"Hilarious." Natsu nudged him back, but it lacked the usual enthusiasm of their bickering.

"I try." Gray shoved his hands into his pockets, staying next to Natsu as they made their way through the dark streets. He didn't say anything, which wasn't unusual for him, but Natsu felt like there was a weight behind the lack of words.

"It doesn't feel right," Natsu finally said once they had arrived at the inn and the girls had headed in to sleep. He leaned against the wall next to Gray and stared up at the sky. The sun had set, and the sky was a dark tapestry littered with pinpricks of stars. "I dunno why it's bugging me so much. We weren't much older when we joined Fairy Tail."

Gray nodded, absently patting his pocket where he used to keep his cigarettes. Natsu batted his hand away, trying to ignore the warm spark when their fingers touched.

It doesn't mean anything, Natsu thought as he pulled his hand back and shoved it in his pocket. He's your best friend.

Gray didn't answer for a while. The silence that settled between them was easy and familiar, and Natsu felt himself unconsciously leaning closer to Gray. Everyone always teased Natsu about how much he talked, but when he was alone with Gray, it didn't feel necessary. The urgent need to fill the air with cheerful words was replaced by a deep, quiet sense of familiarity that felt like home.

"I think," Gray said after a while, keeping his gaze on the sky, "it feels wrong because they're alone. I mean, not alone, but there aren't any other kids in their guild." He kicked at a rock, watching it bounce across the street and clatter down into the gutter. "They're so young. And nobody's looking out for them."

"Yukino is," Natsu pointed out, and Gray nodded. "But she seems..."

"Afraid?"

"Mm. She doesn't really fit with them either." Natsu sighed, prodding at a bruise that was still forming on his ribs. It was courtesy of a vicious kick from Orga during their fight that morning – one that Natsu and Gray had nearly lost to Sabertooth's ruthless tactics.

Silence fell between them again. The soft chill that normally radiated from Gray was tempered by Natsu's heat, keeping them both comfortably warm in the cool spring air. Natsu absently held out his hand and summoned a small flame, running it back and forth across his knuckles. Gray blew a stream of frosty air at it, and it froze for a second, glinting orange and gold in the dim light of the streetlamp.

"I think Sting's trans," Gray said as the flame went out.

Natsu raised an eyebrow, tipping his head to look at the soft expression on Gray's face. Natsu still remembered the day he'd come out, even though it was years ago. They'd been nine or ten, sparring as usual, and Droy had told Natsu that he shouldn't hit girls. Gray had yelled that he wasn't a girl, said some words that he'd probably picked up from Gildarts, then punched Droy and stormed away from the guild. Natsu had followed him down to the river and they'd spent the afternoon together, carefully holding hands and watching the water sparkle in the afternoon sun.