| 11 : The Past |

WARNING: this chapter contains themes that could trigger others

Day 9
Morning

"Over a decade ago..." Aunt Aline started. "Back when I was much younger, and already working here. And the queen was alive. A girl around the young prince's age used to come by. She was very fond of the queen, and the queen was fond of her too.

The little girl was a bright spirit, all the children in the castle adored her. My daughter, little Morozova, and the prince."

"Who is the little girl-"

"Hush, let me finish telling you the story.

So the little girl did truly love the friends she made in the castle. But it was nothing compared to how much she loved the queen. Everytime she came by, the queen would invite her to her personal garden, and they would take care of it together and talk about many things.

Now one day, the little girl was wandering the castle and looking for the Queen. Unable to find her, she sneakily got into the queen's room by herself, and there she saw the lady hung up in the air with a rope around her neck.

I remember the mortified scream the child made, when we all came rushing to the scene. And after that, the little girl never came back, and it appears she forgot every event of coming here in the past to protect herself from the pain she felt."

"That's... Pretty sad." I shifted my gaze to the ground. "So the news of the queen dying because of sickness was... Fake?"

"Yes. Now Riselle, do you know who that little girl is yet?"

"No- wait am I supposed to know?"

"The little girl is you."

"Eh?" I run my hand through my hair trying to comprehend what Aunt Aline told me. I have absolutely zero recollection of ever being here before I was ordered to.

"Of course you are confused. But please try to understand sweetheart. I'm not lying. Why else would the prince be so keen on having you here?"

"I... Don't know."

How should I feel? Aunt Aline would never lie about something like this?

"The prince cares about you a lot. When you two were kids you used to listen to his problems, and calm him when he was upset."

But, if all this is true, then my guilt for forgetting all about this is probably greater than the prince's pride.

"If you still doubt me, you can ask Kace or Adria about it."

Hold on, maybe that's why Kace didn't want to answer what Luca asked earlier? It kinda... Makes sense.

"No, Aunt Aline. I can't doubt you." I pause. Now that I know why all of this is happened, what is my next move? My gut tells me to talk to the prince, but I'm still hesitant to do so.

But he looked so hurt earlier. He cried! The prince cried! 'Be considerate Riselle, how would you feel if someone so dear to you forgot all the memories you made together!' I scold myself.

"I'm going to talk to the prince!" I tell aunt Aline and run out my room and towards the Prince's, bursting open the doors without knocking.

He seemed to be sound asleep, shifting his position after the noise I made. I slowly closed the door and crept over to him, who seemed so vulnerable in his slumber.

"I'm sorry for forgetting about you. And the queen- your mom." I say silently. Bent down to where my face was his level, since he was right at the edge of the bed.

I wish I could remember the things I forgot. Maybe I wouldn't actually dislike your presence.

I lift my hand, and brush his hair that was covering his sleeping eyes, to the side. "Did I comfort you like this back then?"

His eyes slowly open, and I let out a little yelp. 'oh no, oh no! He's going to think I'm a creep! I just entered his room all of a sudden and I'm basically watching him sleep!'

"Riselle." He uttered my name.

"P-prince Rowan! I'm uhh very sorry for entering your room while you were sleeping."

"Did the head maid tell you?"

"Yeah."

He stretched one hand out and caressed my cheek. "You promised me that you'd marry me, way back then."

"I did?" A slight frown forms on my face. "And you held onto that promise ever since?"

"Because you're special to me." He paused, and took a deep breath. "I'd wait my entire life for you to accept me again."

"Rowan I... I don't know if I can keep that promise."

He gives me a pained expression. When his eyes are like this it's like I can't possibly say no to him. "We made that promise when we were kids, and I just can't remember any of the past no matter how bad I want to."

"Then I'll make you fall in love with me."

I sigh. "You're really persistent huh?" I can't say no when he acts all soft like this though! "But fine, I'll give you a chance."

And if anything, the prince is supposed to be giving me a chance.

---

Helluuu guys! TPIAY hit 1k reads so soon! (人*´∀`)。*゚+ I'm v greatful for all of my readers!

I'll write a special chapter in celebration for this small feat huehue