Chapter 4 - 2 Years Have Ended

Danielle's POV

Sunday came.

The day has finally come.
The moment of truth.

My phone beeps.
It's Ervin.

" Are you really going to be okay? "

Yes. Don't worry.

" Can't help it. After all, it's you... "

Trust me. I can handle this.

That's what I've said. But the truth is, I don't really know what to do.

It'll just happen. I mean, that's how it always goes for these kinds of situations, right? And if nothing else, I have to make an effort. For myself at least.

We both know that I have to get through this one way or another.

I'm sure he knows me well enough. He knows me better than anybody. That's what counts, right?

He's a good friend. I wouldn't expect anything more...

With that thought I felt a tug on my chest. It wasn't painful, just there. A small yet strong feeling. One that I guess should make me feel a bit happy? Or perhaps it would have made me think about things differently...

But today wasn't the best day to be thinking about stuff like that. So I decided to keep it out of mind and focused on what I have to face right now.

***

I reached the place that Jessica sent me. It was an outdoor cafe that had its own garden area with tables and chairs inside. There were also tables that were set up under the shades of trees. There were many children enjoying playing outside. The weather was nice and bright, perfect for the occasion.

As soon as I entered the venue, I saw Jessica. She was talking to some guy.
Jessica noticed me and waved her hand in greeting and gesture for me to wait. Then she turned her attention back to the guy. I didn't recognize him. But then again, I was too busy trying not to make eye contact with anyone else as well.

I walked towards one of the tables under the tree. Far away from everyone. I sat and waited.

"Hey." Jessica greeted me. I stood up and we hugged so tight.

" Group hug! " and another pair of arms wrapped around me and Jess. It was Alexa.

" We miss you, Daine! " they said in chorus.

" I miss you, too! " I said quietly. But we're all laughing when we break out of our hug.

" Where's your baby? " I asked.

" With my husband over there " Jess pointed out to the man with a baby near the cake.

" She's so pretty "
" I know. " Jess smiles.

" So what happened to you? " Alexa blurted out as soon as we were seated.

I breathe out. It's time to open up.

" Well, as you already know, I ran away 2 years ago. "

" And? " Jess is trying to be patient. She's not a fan of waiting.

" My parents want me to marry Billy Sanchez. "

" WHAT??? " they both stare at me in disbelief. " WHY? "

" Business reasons, guys. " I said disappointedly.

" Why didn't you tell us? " Alexa said sounding a bit hurt.

" I don't want you to get involved. You're the first one to be questioned by my Mom and Dad so I thought it's better for the two of you if you don't really know. " I explained.