Chapter 1 - 5 Minutes Conversation

Danielle's pov

How time really flies.
It's been 2 years already since I ran away from home.

From being a spoiled brat I learn to live on my own. Everything I needed before is within my reach, now I need to work just to eat. I could spend money for anything I wanted before but now, I saved and cherished even the last cent of it.

It's been difficult for me. But I managed somehow. I learned a lot and I'm proud of myself. I achieved something money can't buy. And it's my happiness, it's priceless.

I am Danielle Angeles. The sole daughter of Dante and Elsa Angeles. Owner/CEO of Angeles Group of Company, specializes in the trading industry.

2 years ago, as I graduated from Senior High, and it also happened to be my 18th birthday. I ran away. Leaving everything behind.

Today, just another ordinary day for me being independent and all. I'm in my small apartment spending my day off leisurely at peace.

After finishing my morning routine, I went out to eat a simple breakfast at my favorite bakery in this city. I didn't feel like roaming around today so I decided not to go anywhere else. As I enjoy my coffee while I'm reading one of my favorite books, I heard my phone ringing. I glanced at my coffee table but the phone screen that lying on top of it  is off.

" Oh. That must be it. "

I muttered to myself as I got out of the sofa and went inside my room. I opened the drawer of my bedside table and stared at my other phone's screen.

I exhaled and decided to pick it up. It was Jessica.

" Hello Jess."
" Hey Daine!  Finally! Oh just wow. Is it the end of the world? How come you answer my fvcking call right now? "
" Yeah, what's up?"

This is my old phone. From 2 years ago. This is my new contact number that I only gave to my 2 best friends. And I clearly told them that they shouldn't give it to anyone and just call me if there's an emergency or they have something important to say.

It was always turned off. I don't really want them to call me because they'll just end up telling my parents about me or telling me about my parents and trying to bring me back home. That's why I don't tell them where I am and don't talk to them either about me at all. The less they know about where or how I am doing, the better.

Every now and then I'll turn this on. But I don't answer their calls as the timing is always off. They'll call when I'm at work or they won't call at all because they didn't know that I finally turned this phone on. I'll just send them messages that I'm fine whenever I missed their calls then shut the phone off again.

" So are you free next week? My baby is turning 2 years old."

I chuckled and automatically replied.

" No. Sorry Jess. Maybe next time? "

Then it sinks in.

" Wait. What??? "

Jessica laughed at the other end.

" Yeah. I have a baby and she's turning 2 already. You missed out a lot. "

There's a hint of sadness in her voice that didn't escape from my ears.

I felt bad for making her wait for a long time. She probably thinks I'm too busy with my life and forgot about her.

" Yeah I'm sorry about that Jess. When does your baby turn two? "
" Well, next Sunday it is. "
I nodded silently.
" Okay. Send me the place and time and I'll see you there. "

And the call ended.

I exhaled. I sat on my bed as my knees felt wobbly. That's too much information for me to handle huh? I smiled at myself. Never did I imagine that Jessica Mendez has a baby now. It's not that it's impossible but, we're a group of 3 and out of all of us, she's the most timid type. So it's really a bit of a surprise that she's the first to have a baby before us. Well, that's that. The world is truly unpredictable.

My mind that's drifting away was brought back by another ringing of my phone.

" Hey. Jess has a baby. "
I speak out of excitement.

" I know. Everybody knows. " the caller sarcastically responded.

" How does it happen? "
I chuckled. I'm implying that she should be the first one to have a baby.

" She got pregnant and after 9 months the baby is out."

Oh. I want to hit her. Like right now?

" Wow, that's just awesome. I didn't know about that huh? "
I said in the most sarcastic way.

" Well, what do you know anyway? "

That hits different. I can feel the suppressed anger in her words. We always trash talked each other before and ended laughing 'til our tummy hurts. We're the sarcastic duo and Jessica always ended up our victim. But she just always laughs at us and doesn't take it to her heart when we make fun of her. That's how close we were.

" Bite your tongue? "
Alex said then breathed out.

" Will you please stop isolating yourself? We're your best friends, Daine. "

I still remain silent.

" By the way, we missed you so much Danielle. "

And Alexa Rios ended the call.

I lay on my bed. Exhausted.

The conversation with my two long lost best friends ended in just 5 minutes.