VII: ANDERS - unexpected twosome

"Admit it, you've run out of ideas

"Admit it, you've run out of ideas."

"This is a genuine hobby," she said, sounding offended.

I peeled my eyes off of the huge 'SALE' sign with bold red letters plastered on the window of the shop to look at Meadow.

"Looking through records?" I asked.

"Listening to music."

"We can listen to music anywhere."

"But not like this." She spread her arms as she entered the record store, gesturing to the rows of vinyls.

I sighed as I followed her. It wasn't as bad as the vintage shop, but this wasn't any better. It seemed that no matter where we went, it would look old and rustic. It forced you to go back in time whether you liked it or not.

Right now, I felt like I was in the 60s. At least, the CDs and vinyls were organized here. I might've even caught some instruments out back.

"It makes no difference," I said.

"Are you kidding me?" she scoffed, turning to me in utter disbelief. "It makes all the difference. We're surrounded with a variety of artists and genres. We get to bask in the world of music, coming from different decades."

"And shower in century old dust," I muttered, running a finger on a random shelf. It might look tidy, but it was definitely not clean.

"You need to stop nitpicking," she told me, rolling her eyes. "It's not healthy," she added, before walking away and scanning the records.

"Truth hurts," I called out to her.

She ignored me.

Deciding to humor her and kill time, I looked around the store. In all fairness to the owner, they had the latest released singles. A part of me was expecting they only sold albums from the 20th century.

And then... a familiar face caught my eye.

I picked up the album and stared at my sister's face.

If truth be told, I couldn't remember a time when Maxine wasn't famous. I was quite young when it happened. I was barely even in grade school yet.

She and her friends (including her husband, Todd) were only recording songs for fun in the Mantle Studio when a producer heard her singing. He was so mesmerized that he offered her a deal then and there.

And the rest was history.

Her rise up to fame was as fast as her songs climbing up the charts. She became an instant hit. Everybody loved her music that even the toughest critics couldn't help but sing along. Along the way, she also became America's sweetheart.

She was only eighteen back then.

My grandfather and mother tried their best to shield me from the limelight. They didn't want my sister's celebrity status to affect my daily life. It worked, somewhat. Like I said before, money went a long way.