VI: MEADOW - swimming in the rink

"Shit, we're back in the eighties

"Shit, we're back in the eighties."

I looked at the big neon pink sign, which wasn't lit on because it was still daylight. Like the old theater, this place had also aged with its faded exterior paint. But it was well preserved inside. Not that many teenagers hung out here so it wasn't crowded, too.

"Don't you have a roller rink in the city?" I asked, wearing my sunglasses because the sun was hurting my eyes.

Ugh, this hangover was killing my good vibes.

"No," he answered. "We live in the 21st century."

"Are you not allowed to have fun in the modern day and age?"

"We are, we just don't go back in time to do it."

He literally had an answer for everything.

"You should go out more," I told him. "Roller skating is fun." I just couldn't show my enthusiasm at the moment because I felt like I was gonna barf if I moved too much.

His eyes locked with mine. Unlike me, he didn't look like he wanted to crawl into a corner and hide from the sun. He was wearing a white Ralph Lauren bomber jacket over a navy blue polo shirt, it made him look so clean and tidy.

"Here I thought you were an introvert," he said.

"In some context."

I preferred staying at home but I liked doing normal stuff people my age did as well. I liked going to the movies, to the bowling alley, and going on road trips. As long as it didn't involve too many people with barely any space to move, I was okay with it.

"Let's go," I said, before pushing the entrance door open.

He followed me inside.

As expected, barely anyone was here – only some middle school aged kids skated in the rink. The disco ball in the middle of the room was turned on, sending little sparkly lights all around. I remembered how I used to come here all the time with—

Long story short, I loved it here.

I removed my sunglasses and walked up to the shoe counter. I asked Anders for his shoe size and got the roller skates for us, then we sat on a bench to get it on.

"I can't believe you're making me do this," he muttered, as he tied his laces.

"I'm not making you do anything."

He snorted. "Right."

I grinned at him, and tried to bat my eyelashes innocently but I might have ended up squinting instead.

He scrutinized my face. "You okay?"

"Just a little dizzy," I admitted.

He paused fixing his skates and straightened up. "We don't have to do this."