Chapter 9

Harry gazed at the Dursely's sitting at the table. Dudley was in the living room. Vernon and Petunia just gave him pale looks. The threats from last year appeared to be fresh in their minds.

"I'm leaving."

They seemed to brighten.

"If anyone asks after me tell them I'm away at camp or something. They should leave you alone then. I doubt any will come anyways." He said.

They nodded quickly.

"Till next time." He said bowing.

Then he popped away, Hedwig on his shoulder, Ne around his neck, his shrunken belonging in his pocket.

.-.

Harry gazed at the small pet shop for a second time. He slipped in the door and found D dusting the place with animals hanging off him. The man slowly turned towards him.

"I knew we would see each other again." He smiled cheerfully, though Harry saw the hidden edges to the smile.

"I was wondering if I could stay here for the summer." Harry replied. "I could pay or work it off."

D gave him an evaluating look.

"You may stay. In return I wish is for you to take good care of Ne and Hedwig."

"Already done." Harry said.

"And maybe some help around the place should I need it."

"Done."

D gave a smirk. Harry could swear the shadows seemed more ominous as he did so, and the animals seemed more human as they watched with calculating eyes.

.-.

Harry fingered the gold coin in his hands. It was a galleon. But this one he had used his magic to remove the picture of the goblin and the axe, leaving it a blank gold coin. At Gringotts there were about five pounds to every galleon. This was so muggles could afford to use them. The gold that made up the galleon was worth much more. Harry smirked as he closed his hand around the coin before slipping it in a pouch at his side which held a couple more wiped gold coins. He headed off towards a pawn shop. These few coins would give him quite a bit of muggle money. Of course he would never tell the goblins of what he did. They wouldn't like it. He knew he wasn't even supposed to change the coin. Actually it was supposed to be impossible, but his magic was odd like that.

.-.

Harry watched the man curiously as he glared at the broom store and stalked off to sit on a bench at the ice cream store setting a broom he carried beside him. Harry glided over and sat beside him.

"What was that?" He asked.

The man blinked in surprise at him then frowned.

"I came up with a new broom design." He grumbled.

Harry raised a brow and looked the broom over again. It had a long black carved handle and strong bristles for the tail. It had some good charms around it by the amount of magic surrounding it.

"Oh? And why is that so bad?" he asked.

"No one will sponsor me. I can't get the funds to get it on the market, upgrade it, or even work on it more." He sighed in frustration.

"Why not?"

"Most brooms sold, if you haven't noticed, all are made by companies that already have brooms out. It's like only broom companies can make brooms good enough to be sold. So most people don't accept anything some nobody makes. But then most good quidditch players had their brooms either made by individuals who made one or two, or by companies that pay them to ride their brooms."