Chapter 8

Harry watched the last quidditch match of the semester. It would be wonderful to be out there darting after the tiny golden snitch. He had flown many times in the past while but to actually do it for a purpose would add new excitement. He sat in the teacher's box with Hermione on his right and Blaise to his left. He sat in the teacher's box because he had no house. He could easily sit with the other houses but preferred the more dignified air in the teacher's box. Hermione and Blaise were let in because he had asked. Blaise was at the moment quietly arguing with Hermione over which Quidditch team was going to win, Gryffindor or Slytherin. Harry watched Quirell out of the corner of his eyes the man was watching him. He was unsure if the man knew he knew this. Snape was watching Quirell also.

Harry delicately tucked a strand of hair behind his ear and noticed a tall elegant blonde man watching him very closely. The man looked quite similar to Draco Malfoy. There was something different about him. He definitely had more power, wisdom, and cunning. He also seemed to be much stronger mentally and physically. Unlike Draco he did not seem quite so arrogant, though Harry was sure that could change in an instant if anyone looked. There was something about him though…something that caught Harry's attention and tried to ensnare it. He found himself frequently glancing at the man. His stomach clenched slightly as green eyes met silver. He could not figure what he felt though.

As their eyes met they stayed caught together. For a moment only there was only the two of them. The man shifted slightly fingering a cane and smoothing a long black cloak, but silver eyes never left Harry's green ones. Harry wanted to shift, but carefully built composure and masks stayed firm. The man tilted his head just slightly giving off a smirk. Harry felt his cheeks tinge slightly and finally broke contact looking away.

"Who is the blonde?" he asked Blaise softly.

Blaise had knowledge of most purebloods and important people in the wizarding world.

"That's Lucius Malfoy. He's on the board of Hogwart's Governors. He was said to be a death eater, Voldemort's right hand man, in the last war but pleaded imperious. He's a dangerous man with power, wealth, and many 'friends'. I would be careful around him." Blaise said glancing to the man only once.

Harry gave a nod and his eyes flashed to Lucius Malfoy once more. The man was giving him a smirk.

.-.

Harry stared at the ground from the high point on the astronomy tower. It was so far, yet only one step. He licked his lips once. He had often thought of suicide. Not recently, but when he was younger. He knew it wasn't right for five year old to think of suicide. Hell it wasn't normal for a five year old to know what suicide was. But Harry had known, knew. Harry had come close quite a few times when he was little. He had come to a resignation when he was younger that he would die someday. He had picture it a lot. He had always thought of himself dieing at the hands of the Dursely's and always felt that was not the way he wanted to go.

Unlike others he didn't want to go painlessly in his sleep. He wanted to feel adrenaline rush through his veins, to feel free as he died. He would not mind falling to his death, or fighting, or even burning. Ever since he could control fire, since five and a half or so he had been tempted to light his clothes and go out in the beautiful flames. He knew it would hurt, but he had long ago built up a high pain tolerance. He had had to.

Harry looked down at the ground far below and closed his eyes letting the breeze play with his hair and clothing. He could picture it so clearly. He would feel the wind around him, the air wrapping around him safely. He could feel his hair flying out around his face, and his cloth trying vainly to tug up away from his falling body. He could feel his limps tense and relax, in a way, as the adrenaline coursed through him but as his body knew it was in danger. He could feel his mind sing with the freedom of the fall and the peace. It would feel so wonderful.