Chapter 9

It was finally the day of the concert, the anticipation was killing Atalanta, this was her first concert away from home after all. Funny thing was she didn't even know what the performances were called when she first arrived in Volcano Rock City. One she first started learning, she almost mistakenly said rave before asking Barb.

"This has to go perfectly..." she muttered to herself while setting up the stage for later that night.

Riff was on the stage putting his drum set together, Carol wasn't there at the moment, that kinda made Atalanta a bit upset. She tested the microphones and speakers, checking for any feed back.

"You almost finished over there? Atalanta called out to her friend.

"Uh yeaaaaa.... totally..." Understandably Atalanta knew that he wasn't.

She flew over to him, he just stared at her nervously.

"So... what happened...?"

"I kinda got distracted..."

Atalanta just face palmed, helping him finish his set up they were completely done with everything in the next half hour. Soon enough Barb walked in back stage, she looked around making sure everything was completed correctly.

"Well... I guess you figured it out." Barb muttered.

Suddenly Atalanta noticed a piece of wire come loose from a speaker.

"BARB LOOK OUT!"

The wire started moving around like crazy hitting Barb in the side of the head, cutting a part of her ear down. She hissed in pain as Atalanta rushed over and quickly covered the wire with tape stopping it from flailing.

"Oh my- are you ok?"

"Yea yea I'm fine it's just my ear, does it look alright?"

Atalanta looked at Barbs ear seeing that a big piece of it was missing.

"Well I don't know if it's aright or not because like half of it is gone-"

"Whoa- sick!"

That response caught Atalanta off gaurd, but she just went along with it.

"Well have you worked out all of your music?" She questioned.

"Yes! I have! Look!" Atalanta shoved the paper in Barbs face, she grabbed it looking it over.

"I don't know- sounds a little pop-ish."

"Come on Barb! I think it's a great rock song... so did Riff..."

Barb glanced over to her right hand troll, Riff, he just did an awkward smile while Barb just rolled her eyes.

"Yea, Riff is chill with most things, it's not a huge milestone if he likes your song."

Atalanta seemed to shrink, pretty hurt by what Barb said about her song.

It was soon only a half an hour before Atalanta was to go out to the stage and sing. She was a bit shaky seeing all of the trolls in the crowd, talking and laughing.

She really was gonna miss this place when it was time to leave. Making so many new friends and befriending the Queen of Rock herself, a huge accomplishment for her.

It was finally time to start the concert...

Lovely cover by Lauren Babic

They began to play their instruments.

"Thought I found a way, thought I found a way out... but you never go away, so I guess I gotta stay now..."

Atalanta began, soon being joined by Riff, as they slowly sang.

"Oh I hope some day I'll make it out of here, even if it takes all night or a hundred years, need a place to hide but I can't find one near. Wanna feel alive outside, I can't fight my fears..."

"Isn't it lovely, all alone? Heart made of glass, my mind of stone..."

Riff joined back in.

"Tear me to pieces, skin the bone... hello welcome home..."

Soon Riff began to sing by himself, even if it was Atalantas song, she wanted him to have a part too.

"Walking out of town, lookin' for a better place, somethin's on my mind... always in my head space..."

The beat soon sped up... and both started singing.

"But I know someday I'll make it out of here, even if it takes all night or a hundred years, need a place to hide but I can't find one near! Wanna feel alive outside I can't fight my fears!"

They stopped singing only blaring notes. Then began the last lines of the song.

"Isn't it lovely, all alone?"

Atalanta belted out.

"Heart made of glass my mind of stone!"

Riff followed shortly after, even louder than her.

"Tear me to pieces, skin and bone... hello welcome..."

"Home..."

They finished together.

The crowd cheered for them, screaming loudly. Even Barb looked impressed of the song, giving the "not bad" face. Atalanta floated there, out of breath, looking over the crowd. Soon flying over to Riff and giving him a huge hug, then both looking back out.

After the concert they were packing up back stage, getting ready to go home after the long day. Barb walked up to them:

"I must say I am very impressed at the concert you put on fish fins."

"Thanks that means a lot, meaning mostly that I've completed my time here and ready to go to where the funk trolls live!" She exclaimed. "Wow... I can't believe a year has passed already..."

"I know man, I'm really gonna miss you."

Was Atalanta hearing correctly? Was barb gonna miss her?

"Well I'm gonna get home and crash, see you tomorrow-" Barb quickly said and walked off.

"Well that was odd..." Atalanta thought.

She soon left to go to her room, preparing to visit the funk trolls. But upon arriving she just collapsed on her bed and decided to pack in the morning...