Chapter 23: Bliss Before Stress

Start from the beginning

Flashback

"You sure you're okay with this?"

Nat looks to her brother with a raised brow. He looks over the papers again before picking up the pen and signing it. Nat smiles thankful her brother is okay with this. After signing it, he gets up to kiss her forehead. He pulls back looking into her eyes.

"I trust you Talia."

He walked out without another word. Nat closed her eyes feeling a single tear roll down her cheek. She knew that Keith cared deeply about her and trusted her judgement above all else. Her words speaking into the empty office as she picks up the papers.

"Thank you"

Flashback End

She arrives back to the stables to find a few workers beginning their morning chores. She gives head nods and good mornings as she passes them. Clicking her tongue, the horse comes to a stop allowing her to slide off. She pats his back and he walks away with his head held high. No worker questioning why he is not put up. They are fully aware that the wild stallion only answers to one. Her word is law and if she does not wish to tame the beast, then they have no say in it.

Nat begins walking to the house when she begins hearing the familiar sound of guitar strings coming from the back patio. Grinning she walks around to find Cass with her hair tossed up in a messy bun on top of her head. She is still cladded in her pajamas with a blanket thrown around her shoulders. Nat stands back remembering that her friend has begun getting up early. Cass says she has had dreams and she would need to wake up to play. The spot where she currently sits becoming 'her spot'.

"Knock Knock"

Cass looks up with a grin. Nat saying knock knock has becoming a normal thing. It made her aware when she was around. Nat telling her on multiple occasions that she couldn't hear a freight train if she was playing. Cass becomes enraptured in her own mind as the music just drips from her.

"Hey stranger"

Nat rolls her eyes. Cass laughs at her own joke. It is true that even with them living together, Cass still only sees her when the night sky begins to fall. Nat has gotten back into her element of running the ranch while Cass has become enamored in finishing her record. Nat flops down beside Cass as the blonde beauty sets down her guitar to the side before laying her head on Nat's shoulder.

"You really like it here don't you?"

Nat can feel Cass nod her head against her shoulder. "It's peaceful. I can't even tell you the last time I felt this... calm."

Cass lifted herself and straightened up before lifting the notebook and presenting it Nat. Her bestfriend taking the notebook as her eyes scan over it. She flips through the pages before gently setting it back down.

"You did all this in the last... 4 days?" Nat says calculating it in her head.

"Yea" Cass says taking the book back. "I don't know what it is but out here... no one seems to care who I am. I can just play."

Nat snorts and shakes her head. If only she knew how often the workers stop just to listen. Cass just pushes her shoulder in a friendly manner. Both girls laughing for a few minutes.

Ahem

The clearing of a throat makes the girls look up. Jax is standing there tapping his phone against his palm. His eyes not holding the normal glimmer they have had for the previous week. Cass sits up straight along with Nat. He walks over slowly. His form more stiff than what Nat usually sees.