Chapter 3

Newt was never known to be sane. However, he still questioned his reasoning behind walking to school on a Saturday morning. He felt bad about irritating Thomas, which was an unfamiliar feeling to him. One that he could do well without. He arrived to his destination and saw the other schools team still playing on the empty field, but his eyes scanned around for one boy in particular. They'd won yesterday and Newt was glad. His school was devastated, but he wasn't.

He didn't spot Thomas anywhere, and he was sure his face fell when he couldn't find the reason to why he was here. Normally, he'd leave it alone and go by his day, but it was something about Thomas' persistence yesterday to stay with Newt. It was the fact that Thomas chose to go after Newt. He chose to talk to him and he wasn't saying anything bad to him either. To say it got Newt's attention would be an understatement. It amazed him, and now Newt couldn't stop blaming himself for being so rude to the one person that was nice to him.

He hesitantly walked onto the field filled with players spread out across, passing to each other as they went. Newt knew that he looked extremely out of place given the fact that they were all built differently and presented themselves with confidence. Newt was the opposite. He wasn't close to being anywhere near confident, and he was extremely thin. It was almost unnatural, you'd think he barely ate at all. But he knew that he ate like any other person, which was plenty to get through the day.

"Lookin' for someone?" Newt raised his head up from the ground to see a younger boy standing in front of him. An arrogant smirk present on his lips, his blue eyes expectant of Newt's reply. Newt didn't speak.

"I asked you a question. It's a little rude not to answer." He still didn't reply. Instead he opted on looking down onto the grass below again. Newt didn't expect the next thing to happen, but it did. He was pushed to the ground by the other boy, landing onto his side as he visibly winced when he felt his hip collide with the ground.

"Well? Aren't you gonna say somethin' now?" Newt whimpered in fear glancing upwards as the blue eyed boy stepped closer to him. He expected to get hit, even with all the other people around, but he didn't. Suddenly, the unfamiliar boy was no longer in front of him. Someone else was standing in his place, and that someone was Thomas.

"What the fuck, dude?" Newt heard the kid who was now on the ground, shout. Thomas ignored the boys question, his eyes glazed with anger. He was furious.

"The hell do you think you're doing to him?" Thomas' reply came out strong, confident, as if he knew exactly where he was going with this. He knew what he was doing. Newt sat up and pulled his knees to his chest, ignoring the seething pain prominent on his left hip. He was scared of what would unfold between the two in front of him. The boy who Thomas had pushed to the ground, pushed himself up and walked up to Thomas.

"The fucker wouldn't reply to me." Thomas walked another step closer to the boy, and Newt closed his eyes. He didn't want to see this.

"That's cause he doesn't talk to assholes." Newt's eyes snapped open at the reply and he dared to look back up at the two boys. Their figures were hovering over him which made him look extremely small. He didn't like it.

"What did you just say to me?" He was being threatened for defending Newt and Newt couldn't help but feel guilty. This was his fault.

"You heard me. Now walk away, or I won't hesitate to hurt you." The younger one scoffed. He didn't believe that Thomas could hurt him. Newt wasn't sure as he hadn't seen either of them throw a punch, but he didn't doubt that Thomas had the strength for it.

"Why are you defending this pathetic boy anyway?" Thomas paused his movement and he now had a small smile evident on his lips.

"Poor Matthew. You seem to be getting Newt confused with yourself." Matthew, who Newt now knew him as, seemed taken aback. However, he didn't budge and cower away like Newt would've done.