36 The Paths of Least Resistance

Start from the beginning

After a moment, Paul shot Luxio a look. "Girlie's clearly in her element, huh?"

He chuffed in agreement.

The tone of Paul's voice caused my cheering to come to an abrupt halt. My smile vanished. My arms fell to my side like bricks.

"Hey."

Both of them snapped to attention upon spotting my glare—a combination of hurt and anger.

"I expected him to be judgmental, not you."

"Wait. Hold on. I didn't mean it like—"

"Like what? What else could you have meant? I forgot you hate it when I act like that. Well, I won't forget again." Tucking Rhyhorn's Poké Ball into the basket, I shoved my way through the tall grass. "Come on. Let's see what other Pokémon we can find."

There was an awkward silence.

The Pokémon's eyes flickered between my back and Paul's blank stare.

Watching me storm off left a tightness in his chest. He was regretful for sticking a foot in his mouth, again, and for jeopardizing his efforts to regain my trust. There was still a wide gap between us. That gap meant his light-hearted jokes would not be taken so lightly.

We didn't speak another word until we reached a fork in the road. Two dirt trails branched off from our position, cutting through the tall grass and working their way towards unseen destinations. I considered the possibilities of what would lie at the end of either path.

"Which do you think we should take?" Paul practically whispered his question as though scared of upsetting me any further. "We probably have enough time to explore them both, if you want."

My head and heart argued over the options.

Yes or no?

The fact it was even a question saddened me...

"We have to find proof of Dratini's home sooner rather than later, and with a set time limit, efficiency is key." My hand slowly lifted and pointed to the left. "So, why don't you head that way and see what you find?"

"You mean, split up?"

"We can cover more ground that way." The words came out of my mouth as fast as I could push them. I snatched a few Safari Balls from the basket and stowed them away in my pockets.

Paul wanted to protest, but he also wanted to avoid pushing me. "Alright. I'll send you a message if I find anything. Come on, Eevee." He walked away without another word. Eevee waved at us.

Luxio and Pikachu waved back until the sound of Paul pushing through the tall grass faded into the distance. Then, they looked at me.

"I'm fine," I retorted without meeting their gazes. "Come on."

We remained silent during our walk, listening to the dry grass as it rubbed against our legs.

I hardly paid attention to any of the Pokémon we encountered. Nothing new. We found a second pack of Parasect, a grazing Rhyhorn or two, and multiple Venonat. Nothing worth catching, at least.

My brain was overloaded by negative emotions. My skin felt tingly. My movements became clumsy, and I tripped a few times on absolutely nothing. My gaze bounced from place to place. Not to mention my sudden defensiveness, which I'm sure everyone picked up on.

I grit my teeth.

Paul said only a few words, just a few simple words that were meant as a harmless comment. However, that comment was enough to make me experience negative feelings and stop cheering over something that incited pure joy.