12; bathtubs

DISCLAIMER: SUICIDE WILL BE MENTIONED AND ACTED UPON

TWENTY MINUTES BEFORE

I was awoken by my phone ringing.

Bella was still at her boyfriends house, and when I asked, Charlie told me that he trusted Carlisle to chaperone.

After all, Edward was just a human, teenage, boy.

Trying to satiate my boredom, I perused Instagram until I fell asleep.

It wasn't even the narcolepsy that got me.

To be fair, after the episode two days ago, on Friday, I was not excited to go back to school tomorrow.

I tried to put off sleeping, but at least I dreamed of sinking into the clouds, resting....

until I was transported to the middle of the ocean and left to drown there.

I rolled over to reach my phone, not bothering to check the Caller ID.

That was my first mistake.

"Hello?" I yawned, trying to clear the sleep out of my voice.

"Priyanka Ashmira Patel. How dare you." My mother said slowly on the other side.

Not hanging up?

That was my second mistake.

And my third mistake, ladies and gentlemen, was listening to the scum my mother spat from her mouth.

Believing it.

And acting. On. It.

"Good afternoon, mother. How may I help you?" My voice was pleasant, while my heart felt like someone was playing the drums on it.

"Charlie, bless him, called me a little while ago."

I froze.

Oh no, no, no.

Please tell me he didn't tell my-

"He told me all about your little... condition."

No.

I choked back tears while I clutched the phone closer.

"You really don't learn, do you, pootho?"

I flinched back at the amount of venom in the originally affectionate word.

My mother could turn anything evil.

I cleared my throat. "I don't think you understand, mother, I was referring to a friend of mine-"

"Lies."

If it wasn't so horrifying, it would've been funny.

"As a result, I've collected your college application and job offers."

My heart jolted to a complete stop.

No.

I had applied to Dartmouth to get the best possible education so I could get a degree in Trauma.

Call me biased, I was probably the only Indian girl who willingly wanted to be a doctor.

That was the only facet of me that my parents tolerated, and even then, even now, they were taking it... away.

"You're lying." I whispered.

My mother laughed cruelly.

"No I'm not, Ashmira. Have a good day, and don't forget to take your sperzcoln!"

I could hear my mother's smile, as if she hadn't just taken away my hopes and dreams in one call, made my heart break with one word, and destroyed my will to live in one conversation.

Everything that Carlisle had told me slipped out of my mind.

The doctorate was all I had.

It was gone, and... so was I.

My mother hung up, and I stared at my phone, tears streaming down my face.

I guess Forks wasn't a good luck charm after all.

I walked numbly to the bathtub, and in that moment, I didn't care.

Not about my family's smug face when they received the news that I died.

Not about Charlie's horrified face or Bella's when they found me.

Not about Carlisle's comforting words.

Not. About. Anything.

I grabbed my razor, sat in the bathtub, and began cutting.

My prince charming was too late.

And if I couldn't save myself like I did for 18 years, there was no point.

My mask fluttered gently against the wind, and finally came off.

I stared at my true self.

A teenage girl, lying in a bathtub filled with water and blood.

I heard the door slam open downstairs, but they were too late.

I fell back with a serene smile.

The mask was off.

I could rest.

~

See you guys in about a week! Sorry for the cliffhanger :(