"No, no that's not what I meant," she seemed to have taken a step closer to me.

"It's okay," I breathed, dropping my hand. "I used to think this scar marked me. The mark of the banished prince, cursed to chase the Avatar forever. But lately, I've realized I'm free to determine my own destiny, even if I'll never be free of my mark." Uncle and I had traveled around the world to countless healers, trying to find someone who could get rid of it.

"Maybe you could be free of it," Katara said.

My eyes widened, how could she take it away when all those other healers couldn't? "What?" I turned to her.

"I have healing abilities."

Irritation stirred in me, "It's a scar. It can't be healed."

Out of the corner of my eye I saw her bring out a small object, and I turned to look.

"This is water from the Spirit Oasis at the North Pole. It has special properties, so I've been saving it for something important," she closed the distance between us and held it out for me to see. It seemed like the shape of a sharp tooth that formed the smallest flask I had ever seen. "I don't know if it would work but," she stopped, waiting for my reaction.

Could this really happen? Could I really be free of this scar that reminded me every day of my past? What would uncle say? What would Mara say? Maybe we should try. But am I important enough to waste it on if it doesn't work?

I took a breath and closed my eyes, bowing my head down slightly to her. I tried not to flinch as I felt her fingers on my face.

All of a sudden the wall a little ways away from us exploded inward, making us jump. When the dust cleared, I saw him. The Avatar. Closely followed by uncle.

"Aang!" Katara yelled and immediately ran to him. He smiled at her as she hugged him, and then he shot me a glare from over her shoulder.

I raised an eyebrow, but was surprised by uncle pulling me into a hug. Both of us pulled away, as did Katara and the avatar.

"Aang, I knew you would come," Katara said, and then hugged him again.

I rolled my eyes and then turned to my uncle. "Uncle, I don't understand. What are you doing with the avatar?" I could fell my anger rising by the moment.

Before my uncle could respond, the avatar cut in, "Saving you, that's what."

I felt my body flash with anger, and I started towards him. How dare he talk to me like that! My uncle stopped me before I could even take a step towards that little twerp.

"Zuko, it's time we talked," uncle said, bringing me back to a standing position.

My face softened but I still glared at the avatar.

"Go help your other friends, we'll catch up with you."

The avatar smiled and bowed to him, and then ran off. Katara wasn't as eager to leave though, and glanced back at me before disappearing down the tunnel.

I looked down at the ground, "Why uncle?" I asked quietly, looking away from him. I can't decide if he betrayed me or not. Why was he with the avatar?

"You are not the man you used to be, Zuko. You are stronger and wiser and freer than you have ever been. And now you have come to the crossroads of your destiny." I finally looked back at him. What is he trying to say? "It's time for you to choose." I looked back down at the ground. I felt something that I couldn't quite figure out. Something that I can't remember ever feeling before. "It's time for you to choose good."