He shakes his head, the guilt trying to claw its way up his throat. "I think she's just homesick for Las Vegas."

Hotch nods. "That's understandable."

"Anything else you need, sir?"

"No, thank you."

He gives Hotch a little nod before Spencer beelines to his desk, grabbing his bag. Fuck, he needs a meeting. He hasn't been to one in a while, but he needs one. Throwing his bag strap over his shoulder, he walks down the stairs to the first floor.

He walks to the metro, glancing around at all the people around him. He wonders about their lives, about their secrets. Are they hiding anything from anyone? Is that guy with the yellow hat secretly a drug addict? Or maybe that woman with the red tank top. Sighing, Spencer descends the stairs to the metro.

He rides the train until he gets to the stop for the Community Church. Exhaling slowly, he walks the couple blocks to the church. He enters the familiar setting, descending into the basement, finding the familiar face of Cheryl. Her face lights up when she sees him, walking over to him.

"Spencer!" She pulls him in for a hug, one which is graciously accepts. "We haven't seen you here in a while. Are you okay?"

Spencer nods. "I've just been busy with work."

"That's understandable. Come on, honey, we're about to start."

"I'm gonna grab some coffee really quick," Spencer says with a smile.

He fixes his coffee quickly before moving to sit with the group. He sees the same faces as always—Gene, Breana, Larry, Kari, Erinn. There are a couple of new faces, though, none Spencer recognizes.

"Alright, so I'll start the meeting off as always!" Cheryl says cheerfully. "My name is Cheryl. As most of you know, I'm about twenty-one years clean from opium. I'll actually be twenty-two in a couple of months." She smiles at the group. "I'm glad everyone could make it tonight. I haven't seen a couple of you in a while." Spencer gives her a smile. "Who would like to go first."

Spencer lets other people go before him. Everyone is doing really well—but Breana starts crying, recalling how a few days ago she relapsed and had to start all over again. Larry rubs her shoulder comfortingly, and Cheryl gives her a small smile.

"Recovery isn't a straight line, honey. Relapse will happen. You just have to learn to accept it—then start over again. It gets better. I promise it'll get easier."

Breana gives her a small smile, wiping the tears from her face. Spencer takes a sip of his coffee, all eyes falling on him. He gives the group a smile before inhaling deeply.

"Hi, my name is Spencer. I'm very proud of myself, I'm just past ten months clean from hydromorphone. I still have cravings, but they haven't been as strong lately, which I'm thankful for. I know...I know I'll have good days and bad days." Spencer hesitates a moment. "I'm...I'm worried about a friend of mine. She's an addict, too. But she won't let me help her. And I can see her getting worse and..." Spencer feels tears prick at the corners of his eyes. "And I can't seem to do anything about it." Kari sets her hand on Spencer's shoulder and he gives her a small smile. "I just wish I could help her. I'm trying, but she...she doesn't seem to want to get better."

It's quiet for a moment before Cheryl speaks up. "Spencer, you're trying. That's better than nothing."

Spencer sniffles softly, nodding at her. "I know. I know. It just doesn't feel like enough."

Kari squeezes his shoulder before letting go, and Spencer takes another sip of his coffee. The meeting ends shortly after, and Spencer stands. Cheryl comes over to him, the older woman looking up at him.