Honestly Breaking Up

Start from the beginning

"The same formula used to treat dissociative identity disorder." Martin realized. His eyes flickered to Caitlin. "I assume this was your idea?" She nodded. "Very clever, Cait."

"Don't call me that." Caitlin's request came out harsher than she wanted to. "Please." She added, much more softly this time.

"I apologize."

"We'd like to run some tests on you if you don't mind."

"Of course, Dr. Snow."

Caitlin led Martin out of the cortex to the lab so she could test him. Then Barry got a call and stepped into a side room to answer a phone call.

"Well." Dani sighed. "Since it seems like I'm not needed, I'm gonna go."

"Where're you going?" Cheyanne asked.

"To do something I should have done a while ago," Dani answered vaguely. But Cheyanne understood.

"Good luck."

"Thanks. I'll need it." Dani chuckled and walked away.

* * *

Dani paced back and forth across the street from a construction site Eric had been working on for the past few months. She felt guilty for bombarding him at work but with her crazy schedule and fluctuating courage, if she didn't impose now, she never would.

"Just get it over with," Dani told herself as she crossed the street. She stood at the edge of the site, trying to find Eric so she could flag him done.

"There something I can help you with, Miss?" A stray worker asked.

"Yes, actually. Is Eric Matthews here?" Dani asked.

"Yeah, he's here. What do you want with him?"

"Just to talk. It's really important."

The worker glanced Dani up and down as if deciding if she was telling the truth or not. "All right. I'll send him over here. Don't move though, civilians aren't allowed on the site."

"Got it." Dani nodded. "Oh, and thank you."

"Sure thing, Miss." The worker strolled toward another. They chatted for a minute and the first worker pointed in Dani's direction. 

The second worker looked over to her. Dani smiled slightly at the sight of Eric. He nodded, dismissing his coworker and hesitantly making his way to Dani.

"What is it?" Eric questioned. Dani was taken aback by the sharpness in his voice.

"I wanted to apologize," Dani spoke honestly from her heart. "I feel like I led you on and you didn't deserve that."

"So, what? I tell you I love you and you do the breakup speech?"

"No." Dani shook her head. "That's not what this is."

"Then what is it?"

Dani took a deep breath, trying to organize her thoughts. "When we met, I wasn't in the best place mentally. I made decisions that I wouldn't have made if I was in a more stable state. I chose to jump into a relationship like I didn't have any issues that I needed to work through."

Eric furrowed his eyebrows. "So, you're saying our relationship was a mistake?"

"No. No, that's not what I'm saying." Dani ran a hand through her hair. "Look, recently I learned that the person you're with should be your home. You should feel safe and loved whenever you're around them and you just aren't my home. I don't know why. I mean, you're a great guy but... there's just something holding me back and you deserve better."

Eric looked down at his feet, finding them all too interesting. "Okay." He said after a few moments of silence.

"Okay?" Dani asked. She was confused by what the word meant and wanted to make sure she and Eric were parting on good terms.

"Well, you know, it sucks for a relationship to end like this but, hey, at least you're being honest with me. I can't be mad at you for something you can't control."

"Thanks, it means a lot to me that you understand."

A few minutes passed of an odd but comfortable silence.

"I, uh, I should get back to work." Eric gestured to the construction site. "Take care."

"You too." Dani offered a kind smile that was gratefully returned and the two parted ways.

A/N: Dani and Eric are officially over. Now on to better ships. Like Bani.

Thanks for reading and leave a vote and/or comment if you enjoyed this chapter!