Christmas Confession

When Dani woke up again, she found herself in S.T.A.R. Labs. She could hear Barry, Joe, and Wells. She waited and listened, only making her presence known when Joe and Barry left.

"Sounds like everything's gonna go down soon," Dani spoke.

"We should be able to catch him tonight." Dr. Wells agreed, not noticing the apprehension in Dani's voice.

"Dr. Wells, I have to step away from the team for a few days." She said suddenly.

Wells turned his wheelchair so that he fully face the anxious brunette. "Why is that?"

"If I try to intervene, the Man in Yellow will more than likely kill me."

"Didn't he already do that last night?" Wells asked, raising an eyebrow in interest.

Dani nodded. "He did. But if his hand was just a little higher... I would be dead for good."

Wells leaned forward, his interest piqued. "And how do you know that?"

Dani cleared her throat. "This is gonna sound a little crazy but, when I die and go to the Astral Plane, I talk to her."

"Her?" Wells questioned.

"Yeah. She manifests herself to look like me." Dani informed. "This time, she told me to stay away from the Man in Yellow."

"Then I guess you should go home. With the way everything is progressing, we just might have our 'Man in Yellow' tonight."

"Thank you." Dani offered a small smile before leaving.

* * *

Barry's head rested on his folded hands as he waited for his dad to show. He looked up at the sound of a squeaking door, reaching for the phone as his dad sat down and grabbed his.

"Merry Christmas, Slugger." Henry smiled.

"Merry Christmas," Barry repeated, trying to fake a smile for his dad but he couldn't. He was too distraught over everything to fake happiness.

"You all right, Barry?" Henry asked, concern lacing his voice.

Barry shook his head. "I screwed up, Dad. After years of searching... I finally found him. I found the man who killed Mom... the Man in Yellow, the one in the lightning. He's out there, and I had him." Barry sighed. "He got away. I-I was so close. I promised you that I would get you out of here. Every day you spend in here has been because of him... until today. Now you're in here because of me, and I'm so sorry. I..." Barry trailed off, tears sliding down his face.

"Barry. Barry, this is not your fault." Henry said. "Look at me. I know what you've given up. Every decision you've made in the past fourteen years has been because of me and your mom-- what you studied, why you became a CSI, even with Dani."

"Dani?" Barry furrowed his eyebrows.

"You're my son. You don't think I know how you love her?" Henry asked. "But you never pursued her because you were too consumed with what happened to me and your mom to let yourself have a life. Well, let it go now, Barry. Hear me now... the man in the yellow suit... has taken enough from us already. Don't let him take any more."

* * *

After the heartfelt conversation with his dad, Barry ran to Dani's apartment door. He took a few deep breaths before knocking with a shaky fist.

"Come in." Dani's muffled voice sounded through the door.

Barry opened the door, stepping inside. He spotted Dani pulling a tray of cookies out of her oven. She turned around, seeing him in her entryway.

"Hey." She smiled. "Nice timing. The cookies should be cooled in a few minutes..." Dani took note of Barry's solemn face. "Are you okay, Bar?"

Barry sighed, walking up to Dani and hugged her. Dani immediately returned the gesture but felt like something was off.

"I love you, Dani," Barry whispered.

"Aw, I love you too," Dani said, misinterpreting his words.

Barry stepped back, taking a second to gather his courage before continuing. "When we were kids, I loved you before I even knew what the word 'love' meant. And then my mom died and I had to go live across the street from the girl I had a crush on."

Dani's demeanor completely changed, she was confused and at a loss for words. So, instead of saying anything, she just sat down at her kitchen table. Barry followed.

"Look, I-- there were so many times that I wanted to tell you-- junior prom, when I went away to college, when I came back from college, all the tutoring sessions, birthdays, Christmases, but I-I never did. I just-- I kept it in. After I lost my mom and my dad, I was afraid that if you didn't feel the same way, I would lose you, too. That's the irony. I was so scared of losing you that I did. I know I've had our whole lives to tell you this, and you're with Eric now, and I know that, and I know my timing couldn't be any worse, but I just-- I couldn't lie to you anymore." 

Barry waited for Dani to say something, anything. But when she stayed silent, he continued. "I'm sorry." He sighed. "Okay." He got up, leaving Dani shocked and alone in her apartment.

Once the door clicked shut, Dani let her built up tears slide down her cheeks. So many thoughts and emotions raced through her that she felt paralyzed.

* * *

Hours later and Dani was at her father's home with Zander, about to eat the cookies she made and start a marathon of Christmas movies when she noticed the lights on across the street.

"I'll be right back," Dani announced as she grabbed a container of cookies and walked across the street. She knocked on the door, hoping Joe or Iris would answer. But, of course, Barry was in the doorway when the door swung open. "Hey." Dani greeted awkwardly.

"Hi," Barry said just as awkwardly.

"Um, I saw the lights on and thought I'd bring over some cookies. It's my mom's recipe." Dani held up the container. 

"Thanks." Barry took it. "Uh, do you want to come inside? Cisco, Caitlin, Cheyanne, and Eddie are here."

"No. Thank you but no. My dad, brother, and I decided to spend the holidays just us this year." Dani said. "After everything that's happened, we're just carrying out a few traditions in honor of my mom."

"Right." Barry nodded.

Dani nodded along with him, not sure where to go from there. "All right, well, I should go. Tell everyone Merry Christmas for me?"

"Yeah." Barry smiled which Dani hesitantly returned before turning away and heading back home.

A/N: Barry finally confessed!! Now it's just a complete awkward city between him and Dani. But things will get better. Or else there wouldn't be a point to this story.

I hope you enjoyed and please leave a vote or comment if you did.