"No one here is going to help us," Zuko started, visibly annoyed, "These people just look like filthy wanderers."

I raised an eyebrow at him, yeah sure he was right, but it is not nice to judge or assume, especially if you're saying it out loud.

"So do we," Iroh responded. "Ah, this is interesting. I think we've found our friend."

Zuko and I both followed where he was pointing, looking over our shoulders. There was an older man sitting at a table in the corner behind us, with pai sho set up, waiting for someone to play him. He looked more normal Earth kingdom than a lot of the other people in the room; he looked promising.

"You brought us here to gamble on pai sho?" Zuko growled and looked at me for help. I shrugged, telling him to wait and see what happens.

"I don't think this is a gamble," Iroh got up and walked over to the table, with Zuko and I following behind. I noticed out of the corner of my eye, those two men who were staring at us when we arrived were sitting against the adjacent wall, watching us.

"May I have this game?" Iroh asked the older man.

"The guest has the first move," he motioned for Iroh to sit across from him at the table.

I stood close to Zuko, eyeing the two men. "Zuko, we might have a problem,"

"Yes, I know. My uncle is gambling at pai sho and we have other problems to worry about."

Iroh and the older man started playing, talking as well. Their conversation seemed weird, scripted almost.

"Uh, no, not that."

He turned to look at me. I glanced again at the two men who were watching us still, if they were trying to hide it they weren't doing a very good job. Zuko waited a minute after I turned back to watch his uncle and the older man play, and then he glanced in the direction I did, following my previous gaze. I assumed he saw the men I was referring to, because I could feel his tension when he turned back. We both sat down at the table. I quickly realized that they didn't seem to be playing a normal game of pai sho, they seemed to be making some sort of pattern on the board.

"Welcome brother," the old man said. My eyes widened as I realized they had made the pattern of a lotus flower. "The White Lotus opens wide to those who know her secrets."

I furrowed my brows and looked over to Zuko, who seemed just as confused as I was. Now the conversation they had at the beginning of the game made more sense. They were talking in code.

"What are you old gasbags talking about?" Zuko blurted out, interrupting them. I rolled my eyes.

"I always tried to tell you that pai sho is more than just a game." Iroh responded calmly.

I heard something behind us and glanced at the two men. One of them had stood up and was angrily saying something to the other.

"Zuko," I started as the man stormed over to us, followed by the other.

"It's over!" the man yelled loudly, and we all looked over at him.

Zuko tensed up again, placing a hand on my thigh. My breath hitched, why would he do that? Was that supposed to be a protective thing?

"You two fugitives are coming with me." They stalked up to us.

I looked from Zuko to Iroh, not knowing what to do. Before I could react, the old man that Iroh was talking to jumped up between us and the two men. "I knew it!" he shouted extra loud, "You two are wanted criminals with a giant bounty on your heads!"