Carter & Gray: Halloween

Start from the beginning

I nod. "Not that I can blame her, we skipped out on her birthday."

He sighs and looks upward at the ceiling. "She's had thousands, I didn't think it mattered if we missed one! And you just looked so incredible—"

I roll my eyes, smiling as I shove him lightly. He chuckles.

"Alright, stop with the cheesy compliments - we should get going before I lose to my anxiety."

Gray sighs, nodding before placing another kiss to my head, breathing in a bit to get my "scent".

"If we must."

————

The party's much bigger than I anticipated, but I don't know why I'm surprised. Rosie's parties are always huge, and I'm pretty sure she invites almost every demon alive.

I'm still eyeing the giant jack-o-lanterns at the entrance when I hear, "You made it!"  as someone hugs me from behind.

At first I tense up, not having had time to process the voice and who it belongs to, but as I turn and look at the woman holding me, I instantly recognize her face and relax, letting out a breath of relief.

"Oh— Rosie," I breathe out, "I, uh, yeah... we're here." I chuckle awkwardly, trying to play off the bit of fear I had for a second there.

I may be better, but a lot of things take more time.

Rosie seems to have picked up on my uneasiness and immediately lets go, a guilty expression on her face. "Shoot, I'm sorry— I did it without thinking. I just got so excited seeing you two here—"

I shake my head and shoot her a smile, letting her know I understand. "It's okay, it's good to see you too."

Rosie grins back, a bright and relieved thing. Gray clears his throat and squeezes my hand, the one he hasn't let go of since getting out of the car. It warms my heart to think about, since I know it's for my own comfort - this way, I'm always aware that he's with me.

I'm not alone. I'm safe.

I squeeze his hand back and smile up at him. His eyebrow is raised as he smirks at his sister.

"Sorry to break up your touching moment, but are you hitting on my fiancé?" He asks, and Rosie's grin sharpens into something mischievous.

"Hm, and if I was? He does look pretty good tonight—"

Gray tuts.

"Rude. We show up and you're already trying to steal him away. Guess we should go—"

He makes a movement like he's about to turn, and Rosie slaps his shoulder while laughing.

"Oh shut up, you know Carter wouldn't leave you in a million years."

I blush as Gray chuckles. "Well I sure hope not, that's kind of the plan."

He gazes down at me affectionately, and I fight the urge to roll my eyes. "Are there any drinks or snacks? We haven't eaten anything since breakfast because there's supposed to be food here."