chapter 8

After  last nights performance everyone was constantly taking photos of us, it was as if we were famous. I was still incredibly weak and the bags under my eyes were growing darker to the point that concealer was no longer helping "hey are you okay?" Julie asked with concern "yeah just tired " I said quietly, I wasn't lying I was exhausted I didn't sleep last night all I could think about was how to tell Julie I won't survive the week. two people came up to us and asked for photos we obviously said yes and they took it "can I get a photo too" nick mocked "I'm gonna go" I said as I began walking away leaving the two in the hopes she'll like him instead of my boyfriend.

Julie and I arrived at Lukes mums house, she kept begging me to come with her so I did it was the only way to keep her from finding out about the stamps, we walked to the door but before Julie could ring the bell Luke poofed beside us "what are you doing here" Luke asked with confusion "okay look... I just wanted to know more about you... we came here last week on your birthday" Julie stammered as Luke looked at the both of us in annoyance "you were spying on me after all those talks about boundaries... and you Maddie why are you here?" he said with clear anger "you never tell me anything and I...i'm worried..i'm sorry" I answered apologetically "well you don't need to be worried" he whispered  "we know what it feels like to talk to someone but you can't" Julie argued. Luke paused for a moment before turning to us "I don't even know what to say even if she could hear me" he said softly "yes you do, you've already said it" I chimed in calmly as he looked at me with confusion "trust me" I cooed.  He walked to the doorbell, his eyes not leaving mine for a second and rang the doorbell before standing behind me and plcing a hand on my shoulder. An old man answered the door in confusion it was his father "hello can I help you?" he asked as we both took a breath "hi I'm Julie and this is Maddie I believe you had a son named Luke" Julie answered, as the man lips twitched slightly causing a half smile "yes that's right and you are again?" he pondered "Julie and Maddie" I chimed in "your sons band used to play in my families garage" Julie stated "I came across a song he wrote and figured you might be interested" I said softly pulling out a small piece of paper from my back pocket and held my hand out for him to take it but he didn't "yes, please come in, I'm mitch" he invited as he moved to the side allowing us to walk in . we stepped inside but before I shut the door I gestured for Luke to come in as he was still by the door, he stepped inside with glossy eyes and walked beside me to the living room "did I hear the door bell" I heard an old women ask as she walked towards mitch "hi hon, this is Maddie and Julie" he introduced  "hello Julie, hello Maddie " she greeted with a smile. Mitch explained the conversation from outside and we handed her the song, she began reading it and tears were falling from everyone's eyes "thank you" she sniffled after reading the song and holding it close to her. Luke poofed away before we left "it was so nice to meet you both" Emily said with tears still falling from her eyes.

it was the evening and I was heading over to see Julie and the guys for rehearsal, I walked up her steps by her front door and saw Luke and Julie trying to hold hand "This is an interesting little relationship we have" Luke joked, I was heartbroken "I'm sorry, I didn't realise I was interrupting" I said sarcastically before turning and walking away as fast as possible "Maddie" Luke yelled from behind but I chose to ignore, I was finally away from the house and I was so relieved "Maddie stop" Luke begged as he poofed in front of me, I stepped back slightly "save it" I shouted in anger as I went to keep walking but Luke stood in front of me "I know how it looks but I promise its not what it looks like" he stated in frustration "and how is it then" I snapped, he looked at me with glossy eyes "she was just comforting me that was all" he quietly stated with sad eyes "how do I know that's not a lie?" I asked with pure anger, he looked to the ground in shame as I glared at him "because I...." he stammered, I stood for a second longer as he stuttered "pathetic" I huffed as I pushed past him as tears began to roll down my face "I love you!" his voice called from behind me as I paused from where I was standing and slowly turned around "you what?" I asked softly as all my angered faded away "I love you, I never meant anything by grabbing her hand, you are so precious and I would never ruin that" he softly stated as I ran to him and gave him a long kiss, I know I forgive to easily but oh well "I love you too" I said softly.

we arrive back at Julies house "Maddie I'm so sorry" Julie stated apologetically to me but before I could answer the shot of pain jolted right through me causing me to fall to the ground once again a long slice opened up on my arm causing me to cry out in pain, Luke knelt beside me as I was still wincing "what's happening? are you okay?" Julie questioned in shock as I regained my strength slightly and the wound healed "we did something bad the night we missed the dance, we met this ghost and he put this curse on us and if we don't do what he says the jolts will destroy us" Luke explained with sad eyes as I slowly lifted myself up with the help of Luke "then do what he says, what does he want?" Julie asked in a mixture of shock and sadness "he wants us to join his band forever"  I answered weakly  "but if we play at the Orpheum and she dies before it kills her we an avoid all this and cross over" Luke finished for me, Julie looked incredibly sad I wished she didn't find out this way "cross over like go to heaven and Maddie can't die she'll become a ghost and i'll never see her again" Julie stammered as Luke and I looked at her with sad eyes "so its either cross over or die, join his house band or be killed by those jolts" Julie questioned "yeah" luke whispered softly as Julie stared at us both "well that's just great" she said sarcastically before walking away.

I laid in the studio with the guys in a slump, no one was talking "snap out of it" Julie yelled as we all jumped up to see her "do you guys wanna cross over or what" Julie yelled trying to be motivational "they're never going to let us play the Orpheum" Luke sighed as he leant against the sofa "and I could never kill myself" I stated in the same tone as Luke "someone once told me you don't get permission by asking you book gigs by doing and we'll figure out how to kill you after" Julie stated "people don't just play the Orpheum because they want to" Alex stated

"people don't but ghosts do"