『5』Don't Hide the Marks of Surrender

I open my eyes to a small, mischievous stare of Honey's eyes. She couldn't tolerate staying hidden too long, and certainly couldn't resist the temptations of becoming the seeker herself.

She leaped over the steps that blocked her way. "That was so fast! I'm the seeker now...Watch me find everyone!"

"There's one person-" I managed to call out, before she sped out the hallway.

Delta had vanished. I turned my head in both directions, but the room was dead quiet. After giving myself a few minutes, I reluctantly drag my feet out the door. While it was not my initial choice, maybe I ought to play for some luck.

My breathing became raspy as I continued to walk. The dead end of the narrow hall was nearing close. In the stillness, there was not a sound besides the echo of my footsteps.

I turn the last corner, and a small glimmer of hope blossoms as I glimpse the silhouette of a figure.

"You wanted to talk to me?"

He steps into the light of the window, which causes me to jump out of my skin.

"Y-yeah. Stand still."

I reached for his hands and pulled off his gloves, scanning over the exterior for signs of abrasions. There was a slight reddish tinge likely caused by coldness. Though it was relieving to see them in an otherwise perfect condition, I doubted it was a misinterpretation of Free's observations.

"This is causing me more of a headache," I murmured. There wasn't a reason for me to care about the compromise of his safety.

Delta abruptly withdraws from my grasp with a blushing scowl. "Don't touch my hand!"

His sensitivity made me unwilling to get any intimate, so I made haste to change the subject out of guilt. Even as I do, I speculated if there was something else that has put him on edge. My casual handling came across as overbearing.

"Here, let's go outside."

Delta gives a cursory look before taking the blue chalk stick I offered, following me to the building's courtyard.

I knelt and drew a sketch on the pavement with red chalk. Delta studies the shapes I've created, and begins to design half a curve. However, his art differs in its more simplistic form. There was a distinction between us in terms of artistic ability.

Trails of our chalk glowed in exposure to the blazing sun, like shining beacons of jewels. Perhaps this was what I wanted to achieve by having him draw alongside me. As the mood alleviated, Delta spoke up.

"What did Valt mean by getting you to battle me?"

"Oh, back there? I'm not known to take matches."

"Then how do you maintain your level...without practicing with others?"

I laughed at his blinded awe, feeling warm at his high regards. Aside from the value of Devolos, his vessel as Delta flashed so brightly. I desired this, if solace could be earned with mere efforts.

"Should I return to training then?"

"Don't tell me you're not practicing for the duos."

"I get it. Let's use the stadium over there."

A swift stab of regret washes over my heart as I am reminded of my objective. Remain strong in the face of his agony? Play with his fragile emotions?

"You scoundrel!" A vicious inner voice taunts. Its echoes are seething in my head, berating me for my conceitful gain.

Aching is only temporary. There is no room left for pity.

I force down the distress that looms in my mind, steeling myself to persevere. And for once, I hoped my heart of stone would pull me to the bed of the ocean.