Chapter 5: The Village

Start from the beginning

"How would you know, Mr Love-Is-Cringe?" Wilbur snapped back. "Mr Murder-Makes-Me-Happy?"

"I mean, it's just basic knowledge!" Techno shrugged. "Something you don't have."

Wilbur's jaw dropped, taken aback. The others snickered at his reaction.

They talked for a while, before they continued on their journey.

~

It was getting dark. They had been walking for hours. At this point, Dream didn't know where they were headed. For all they knew, the Nightmare could be headed downhill to their own village. For all they knew, they could be walking into a trap.

No point backing out now, he thought. I can't let them down. 

"Guys!" Wilbur interrupted his train of thoughts, pointing to a light somewhere uphill and motioning the others to follow. "I think that's a village!"

"You mean, a village that hasn't been destroyed?" Techno muttered, trailing behind. Indeed, it was quite a lively village, it was fairly large, compared to a normal one. It looked modern and ahead of time, potted plants stood everywhere and the houses were either grey or brown. 

"Wilbur? Is that you?" a man came up to them. He wore a long white robe and had horns on his head. A golden crown decorated with jewels perched on the top of his curly hair. 

"No way, Schlatt!" (this is in a different universe ok, please don't fight me lmao) Wilbur hugged him. "Guys, this is Schlatt! Schlatt, these are my friends, uh-" he pointed to each one of them and introduced them. 

"What brings you here, Wilbur? Come in, come in!" the man gestured, leading them into some kind of courtroom. "Sit down, make yourselves comfortable!" 

The others didn't complain, happy they could rest after the long journey. 

"So Wilbur, why do you come?" Schlatt motioned a servant to fetch them some drinks.

"Oh, we were hunting for this monster, uh, Nightmare? You've heard of him, right?"

Schlatt froze. "Well, yes. I have. I've come across him before."

Wilbur's jaw dropped. "Wait, you have? How does it look like? How powerful is it? Did it fight you? Can you tell me more about it?" he bombarded his friend with questions.

"Terrifying would be a good word to describe it. It's this freakishly tall and thin dark-coloured creature, probably nine or ten feet tall. It's eyes, well, they stare right into your soul. They are so powerful they can emotionally crack you." he nodded as the servant handed out drinks to everyone.

"Oh, not for me and him. We are minors, you see." Tommy pointed to himself and Tubbo. The servant acknowledged the fact and carried their glasses away. 

"So, do you perhaps know how to destroy it?" Will asked hopefully. Schlatt gazed at the table, seeming to be lost in his own thoughts. He tapped his fingers on the surface of his glass, a clink clink clink filling the room. Finally, he took a deep breath.

"I think the only way to defeat it is to have courage. The physically strongest man in the world couldn't defeat it if he didn't trust in himself. You need to have the courage to be able to look it in the eyes and not break. I didn't have it." he lifted his sleeve to reveal a fresh, horrifying deep scar on his arm. The blood had dried, but some parts of his skin were still bright red and stained his clean robe.

"Oh my god, why don't you bandage that?" Wilbur shrieked, his eyes widening. 

"These type of wounds need a lot of oxygen to heal, Wilbur. Bandaging it would just block off all the air."

"When did this happen?" 

"Two days ago. Pretty deep cut."

"No shit, oh my god!" Wilbur averted his gaze, refusing to look at the injury. 

"Yeah, it hurts. Anyway, y'all wanna party tonight?" Schlatt's mood changed as he looked around the room. 

"What-"

"Oh, we have this festival tonight. We have one every month. It starts at nine and ends when you decide to stop drinking, I guess. It's about seven now, for anyone asking." Schlatt started to get up. "See you there."

He waved them off before leaving them alone in the room with some other guards and servants. 

"Yes!" Tommy pumped his fists in the air. "Let's go, Wilbur! It's gonna be so lit!" Tubbo nodded, agreeing with him.

Wilbur looked at him like he just said something stupid, which he did. "Tommy, no, festivals are 99% just drinking and 1% dancing, and you are a minor, like you mentioned recently."

"Damn it!" Tommy slouched in his seat. "So that means I just have to go to bed, right?" 

Wilbur nodded. Tommy punched the air, dismayed. "I hate being a minor. I wish I was a big man." he muttered. 

"Ok, well, you heard him." Wilbur got up. "Consider this a token for our hardwork climbing up the mountain. See you there. Uh- except Tommy and Tubbo, if I see you there I will kill you." 

"Ok, don't need to get... psycho." Tommy grumbled as Tubbo sighed dejectedly.

"See you there!"

~

Uhhhh I feel like this chapter was super boring, I'm sorry! I'm literally almost done with the next one, and it gets more interesting! Expect to see it within a day or so.

Word count: 1411

Once again, thank you all so much for the support, I really appreciate it! <3

See you in the next chapter!

-dainty <3