10: Resolutions

The front door was closed with force, the key being shook roughly into the lock. There was a long pause before the doctor began to ascend the stairs, a slow pace dragging out the process. His briefcase was dropped in a corner of the living room and given no further thought as he collapsed against the wall, closing his eyes and exhaling deeply.

"Good evening, John." The detective started, quickly deducing the situation. "Why did you have to stay?"

"The doctor in room four decided to not come in -without letting anyone know- and then called me three hours later to ask me to cover her shift!" He was now becoming immersed in the problem, using his hands to illustrate points and raising his eyebrows with every other syllable. "So, I had fourteen extra patients on top of my twelve and I didn't even get a lunch break and I got no thanks for it from Jess and I had to keep people waiting and-"

His chaotic train of thought was brought to an abrupt end when a large hand enveloped his, holding it tightly. A thumb stroked John's knuckles soothingly, calming his breathing down after a short while. Once he was relaxed enough to be left, Sherlock stood to make his way to the kitchen, pouring a glass of wine and bringing it over to his boyfriend. The smaller man took it gratefully, taking eager sips and quickly finishing it. Realising that it may not be wise to have a second glass, he slumped onto the sofa with a sigh and watched as his lover disappeared from sight, rushing to the bathroom.

Unknown to John, Sherlock was actually running him a bath, adding plenty of bubbles and lighting a scented candle (a Christmas present from a previous client), placing it carefully on the windowsill. He then grabbed a towel from the airing cupboard and ran upstairs, searching for the blogger's comfiest pyjamas and rushing back downstairs to set them neatly over the edge of the sink. Perfect.

Once the bath was full enough and the water was too hot, he sat next to John once again, letting John hold him and talk about each thing that had gone wrong, from the phone call with Jess to the argument with an elderly patient, to the later argument with a colleague over working a longer shift, to therefore missing the bus and not being able to get hold of a cab in the cold weather.

When each issue had been discussed thoroughly and both men were able to forget about it, Sherlock lead him by the hand to the bathroom, letting him take off his clothes and step into the tub, the temperature checked and just right.

"I'll leave you in peace now. I'm ordering us Chinese when you're out." He smiled, hand on the door ready to resort to the kitchen.

"Sherlock?"

"Yes, John?"

"Please stay. I've missed you."

Without another word, he climbed in too after removing his suit, letting John sit in front and rest his strained back against Sherlock. It felt nice- the warm water surrounding them and the candlelight bouncing from the walls. However, the calm atmosphere was soon changed when Sherlock flicked a handful of bubbles at his doctor, causing the two to start a bubble-throwing fight, with the taller man scooping bubbles to place in the blond's hair, only to be met with bubbles thrown back at him from in front. There were soon bubbles everywhere- on the floor, on the wall and on each other.

"Sherlock," John panted, squirming under the water and still smiling. "I can't see you now!"

Bubbles covered his face and fell onto his shoulders, much to the detective's delight. The pair brought an end to the fight and the bubbles were carefully brushed out of John's hair. Sherlock began to run his hands through the dampened hair and the doctor's weary eyes closed, his breathing steady and relaxed.

"Are you going to eat with me tonight?"

"I may feel inclined to steal some of your chow mein." The detective admitted.

"How about a rib?"

"No."

"Pork balls?"

"I think so."

"Get two portions and take what you want." John smiled, shaking his head slightly and sinking back onto the man behind him.

"Are you ready to get out then?"

"Hmm, five more minutes..."